How do you get to play so well?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by bumblebee, Jan 19, 2011.

Tags:
  1. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Why? Just because you read that in a book somewhere?

2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    actually no. Only because if you have to ask the question of how to, then you will probably have to earn it in a much different way than those that just do it.:lol:

3. edfitzvb

edfitzvb Forte User

Jun 10, 2008
    Woodlawn, VA
    Okay, I'm back with a question. What is the make and model of the piston valve trumpet? I know one like it was a member's avatar when I joined, but I don't remember seeing it lately. Forgive my ignorance, somebody please educate me. Thanks

4. rowuk

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
  5. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Riiiiiight. This totally explains young kids who roll out as virtuosos because obviously they cranked out their 10,000 hours. Must have started in the womb.

6. rowuk

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    If you can honestly find 10.000 hours, you are something special, even if you don't have the luck to find 6 other playing mates like these guys.

Big numbers only serve to offer perspective. I am sure that in sum, they collectively have 10.000 hours under their belts.

7. edfitzvb

edfitzvb Forte User

Jun 10, 2008
    Woodlawn, VA
  8. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon

I like these guys ... they take their (enormous) talents and share them with the audience in a very fun way that I'm sure leaves a smile on almost everybody's face. No showing off, just sharing great stuff. Haven't been to Vienna yet, but it sounds like my kind of town.:thumbsup:

Turtle

9. TrentAustin

TrentAustin Fortissimo User

Oct 28, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I routinely practiced 8+ hours a day from age 14-22. I dunno, maybe practice doesn't help... but I do believe this to become a MASTER (not just a robot...) you need to spend a TON of hours in the practice room.

Bird practiced 12-15 hours a day for a period over a year.
    Trane always practiced 10+ hours a day
    Oscar Peterson told me on a gig that he shed 18 hours a day when he was young.

Coincidence?

10. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    I think that it is more of a coincidence than a requirement. The idea behind that theory is that it takes 10,000 focused hours of dedicated work to attain mastery of something like a musical instrument. I think that what happens is that in fact most masters of those instruments DO have that kind of time under them, but that's only part of what it took to get them there. Seriously, how does one quantify inate ability or talent?

Did they really spend that kind of time practicing or do you think that maybe some of it was just a bit of exaggeration? I used to say that I spent 6-7 hours of day playing and for a time, I did spend that kind of time in either rehearsals or personal practice, but 18 hours a day is 6 am to midnight. And you seriously don't think that's an exaggeration?

Last edited: Jan 20, 2011