How do you get to play so well?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by bumblebee, Jan 19, 2011.

Tags:
  1. TrentAustin

TrentAustin Fortissimo User

Oct 28, 2003
    Boston, MA
    10 hours a day for 300 days a year then 10,000 is a little over three years. Honestly I don't think it's that much time.

Maybe people don't practice as much as I did when I was younger. I still average 3-4 hours a day, even while maintaining a brass shop. I feel like that is just pretty much maintenance for me.

2. TrentAustin

Oct 28, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I honestly believe Oscar... he said he put food on the piano and practiced with one-hand and ate with the other. The only breaks were for relief ;)

Trane's been documented on numerous occasions practicing long hours...10-14 per day.

Believe it or not I do.

Speaking of... it's my lunch break from work. I'm going to practice!

3. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    But that's still 6 am to midnight. I can believe that maybe he did 18 hours a couple of times, but consistently over a period of time? Maybe, but that's freakish if he did.

I thought that having the horn in my hand for 6-7/8 hours a day was a lot - that's when I was playing my very best technically. These days I'm lucky to get 6-7 hours every 3-4 days. It is what it is - my priorities are different than they were and I'm just not willing to take that kind of time away from either my family or the other things I do.

4. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    I stole this:
    In "Goedel, Escher, Bach", by Douglas Hofstadter, there's an article about "number numbness". The idea is that when numbers get REALLY big, people lose their ability to actually comprehend them. Like there's an upper limit, beyond which a number is just simply "frickin' huge" (my term, not Dr. Hofstadter's). In the article, he breaks down single very large numbers into smaller sets of numbers so that you get a better sense of what those large numbers really represent.

I think that it is not so much we practice, but how we practice.

5. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    Sounds like a good book.
    When I teach statistics, one of the first questions I ask the class is:
    "On average, does a person live 250,000 500,000 or 1,000,000 days?"
    You'd be amazed how many people get this wrong.
    Of course the correct answer is "none of the above"
    If a person lives to be 100 years old they've lived 36,500 days.
    After they made their wrong choices (the usual being 250,000) I then have them to use their calculators and divide the three choices by 365.
    The question helps drive home the point that we have no concept of the large numbers we hear and read about in the news.
    Maybe this phenomenon come from the fact that (other than some identifying number) students have no idea what numbers do. They know what can be done with them but they have no clue as to what numbers do.

6. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    Trent sez:
    Bird practiced 12-15 hours a day for a period over a year.
    ----
    Yep, that's because he was cranked out on speed.

7. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Bird was on heroin.

8. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    ---
    Parker sure did like herion.
    He also liked liquor when he couldn't get herion.
    He also liked speed. I think they were called B-Bombs. Basically benzedrene inhalers broken open and put in a cup of coffee.

9. TrentAustin

Oct 28, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Let's leave drugs out of this. I used to do 11-13 a day and have never used any drug like that.

10. Kujo20

Kujo20 Forte User

Sep 29, 2010
    I had to do quite a bit of 5-7 hour practices when performing "Guys and Dolls" and "Suessical the Musical". 6 weeks, practice 5-6 days of the week. It's grueling, but it is possible!
    Kujo