How do you get to play so well?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by bumblebee, Jan 19, 2011.

Tags:
  1. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    How did I get to play so well?
    The first 20 years - Listening.
    The next 20 years - Hearing.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2011
  2. amigomatt

amigomatt New Friend

Dec 10, 2008
    Manchester, UK
    If you have the fundamentals pretty much down and secure, it's good to think of practise as not only refining skills you already have, but also relieving and eradicating the bad physical habits we can acquire over the years that prevent our innate and natural technique to flourish. We do this by overlaying them with better habits.

We should always be striving to eradicate unneccesary tension and play in a more relaxed manner. For a few people this is natural, but for almost everyone else this takes months/years of discovery. Some may never discover it, but the only way to find your most natural and relaxed techniques is to put the hours in.

Matt

3. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Relaxing is so key. Part of every rehearsal I first play a piece uninhibited, then I go back and play it again with the purpose and perspective of "Can I play it more relaxed?" and then contrast the two results. Relaxed most always wins hands down. Even intensity can sound better relaxed. This not only enhances the quality of the playing but the quantity - I can practice longer without fatigue.

4. Jfrancis

Jfrancis Pianissimo User

Jul 19, 2008
    Hannibal, MO
    Expose yourself to playing in every form of music you can be part of. Play jazz, orchestra, rock, country. Turn no gig down and stretch yourself.

5. bigtiny

bigtiny Mezzo Forte User

Aug 14, 2005

learn a lot of licks....

bigtiny

6. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    Geoff Colvin's Talent is Overrated, What Really Separates World-Class Performers from Everybody Else, he researches this subject. It is a very good read.

Some of his findings:
    10,000 (+) hours by the time one is a teenager.
    Opportunity: A home life oriented towards lots of lessons, lots of (dedicated) practice, an environment of immersion in the field of expertise.
    Dedicated practice - a very focused and intense approach repeating the areas in which challenges are experienced.

He mentions a Japanese gold medal winning figure skater, estimating that, in learning to complete the jumps in her winning program, she fell on her butt probably 10,000 times.

7. bumblebee

bumblebee Fortissimo User

Jan 21, 2010
    Great Southern Land
    Thanks I must check that out

:-) That's been discussed a bit in this thread already

Sigh - that wasn't me

I'm trying - see? :play: :play: :play: :play: :play: :play:

That is an interesting idea - I hadn't really thought of that since I tend to consider songs without that in mind. Now I think I'll listen to Mnozil and others again to see how this might apply to them.

--bumblebee

8. BigDub

BigDub Fortissimo User

Dec 19, 2009
    Hillsborough, NJ
    I'm not flat out saying I disagree with you, just your method of proof; if you say "anyone" can do something, using one kid as an example really doesn't back that up very well. Great story. I'm happy to hear it, but how does that support your argument?

9. Kujo20

Kujo20 Forte User

Sep 29, 2010
    Well BigDub....I haven't had everybody in the world as a student! He just happened to be a good example.

How does it "support my argument"? Well, to tell you the truth I didn't know I was in an argument. I was just stating my opinion.

I think that anybody can reach a goal they have if they truly put in the work. I'm sure that Thomas Gansch (or any other famous trumpet player for that matter) didn't come out of the womb playing Haydn's trumpet concerto! They had to start at the beginning just like everybody else (at one point in time, those famous players were sitting down in 5th grade band class having no idea what to do with the instrument they were holding)

So if that helps you understand my "argument", ok! If not...well it is just my opinion!

Kujo

10. Phil986

Phil986 Forte User

Nov 16, 2009
    Near Portland, OR.
    BigDub's point is the following
    You said "I had that student who accomplished this and that by doing such and such. Therefore (word yours, emphasis mine), I believe that ANYBODY (emphasis yours) can etc, etc.

You're saying that you believe anybody could do it because somebody could do it. I tend to agree with BigDub that this belief is not well supported.