How Do You Guys Feel About Taking Breaks

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Snorglorf, Dec 13, 2008.

1. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Snorg,
    we never know what will happen until try. Forget about over or underbite. Your face is the way it is and the first step is to get your time on the horn as productive as possible!

I would say to get a 30-45 minute routine that you do EVERY DAY. 15 min long tones and slurs, 15 minutes of easy fun tunes and 15 basic articulation/technical studies. All of this is played with a full breath and PIANISSIMO! I use Earl Irons lip flexibilities for slur exercizes.

If you are tutoring, get your kids to play soft too. How often (except perhaps marching band) are the trumpets not loud enough? Where does the intonation and fullness of tone usually go south (below mezzo piano....). You will save your face with these two simple changes. Your kids will also learn something VERY useful!

When I say do not practice music with wasted chops, I mean just that. How can we play musically when we no longer have control over the process. I suggest moving MUSIC further forward in the daily mix and putting the chop-wasting technical exercizes at the end. Don't even think about starting the music 3rd if your face is burned out!

One last favor: for the next week (better wait until the 25th - you may just have a very special Christmas gift!) DO NOT CHECK OUT HOW HIGH YOU CAN PLAY! Let my relaxed advice take hold before getting animal!

You don't need a video for pianissimo. After a week or 2 of stretching the envelope DOWNWARDS you will know what I mean!

Good luck,

Robin

2. Snorglorf

Snorglorf Pianissimo User

Nov 13, 2008
    Thanks very much. :)

3. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    hey, any excuse for a party!!

4. Snorglorf

Snorglorf Pianissimo User

Nov 13, 2008
    Sorry to bring this back up to the top again, but what do you recommend for "easy tunes"? I don't really have much material to practice (I have an I Recommend book from school, Arbans book, a Real Book and my Jazz Band charts).

Should I just spend 15 minutes sight-reading from the Real Book?

5. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I use Concone vocalises for alto voice and a Lutheran Hymnbook! Those are some easy beautiful tunes available to just about everybody! Great for transposition practice too!