How do you guys start a new trumpet player?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by cobragamer, Jun 3, 2011.

1. cobragamer

cobragamer Pianissimo User

Jan 26, 2008
    Raleigh,NC
    I am just curious about how some of you guys start a new middle school trumpet player. What materials do you start them with and how do you go about them learning their scales pieces ect.

2. leftmid7

leftmid7 Mezzo Piano User

Sep 21, 2010
    Franklin, TN
    if you're talking 6th grade, never played:
    mouthpiece buzzing
    whole tones
    C scale
    rubank elementary method trumpet(great book with basic exercises and tunes)

3. keehun

keehun Piano User

Feb 4, 2010
    Minnesota
    I'd argue lead pipe buzzing is much more useful and nondestructive than mouthpiece buzzing.

Go visit Gary Radke and he will instill fear in you until you believe him (in a good way)... I trust him... And so does Bergeron, Chuck Lazarus, and a billion other trumpet players

4. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
  5. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Long tones, lipslurs, scales, easy tunes (we write the fingerings in) like happy birthday to build early audiences..........

After a couple of weeks, double tonguing with the scales too.

When everything is tough, adding a double tongue is no big liability. Getting those skills in early helps out later. Waiting months before multiple tonguing means that the kids have a nice sound and the tonguing hurts that - so they don't practice it as much!

The main issue is to build audiences. Birthday, Christmas and Easter tunes are real motivation builders! The whole family gets on board!

6. trumpetsplus

trumpetsplus Fortissimo User

Jun 11, 2006
    South Salem, NY
    All my beginner students play a tune at their first lesson, typically "When the Saints Go Marching In".

I start them with blowing through a straw, then blowing (mouthpiece inside their mouth) through the mouthpiece/lead pipe, then playing a note on their lead pipe, then playing the note on the trumpet.

7. daleptt

daleptt New Friend

Apr 25, 2011
    Speaking of starting a new trumpet player, I would be interested in some recommendations you might have for an adult. I recently retired and have always had a desire to play the trumpet. I found an instructor who can give me 30 minutes a week, but he is very busy, and I don't want to take his time away from younger students. I have purchased a couple of elementary instruction books and would like to lay down a more discipline plan for my daily practice. The advantage of being retired is I have the time to practice and am fortunate in having a place to practice. The downside is a lack of fellow peers to help in developing the necessary skills.
    Anyway, any suggestions you might have in establishing a daily practice routine and a way to measure my progress would be most appreciative.

8. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    daleptt.. what city do you live in?

9. trumpetsplus

trumpetsplus Fortissimo User

Jun 11, 2006
    South Salem, NY
    Same instructions. Play tunes.

10. kctrumpeteer

kctrumpeteer Piano User

Dec 23, 2009
    For some general instruction I like the following series of videos...
    YouTube - ‪Trumpet Lesson #1 - Air and Embouchure‬‏

They have a series of 10 or so lessons and its good information.

The other thing is a lot of the books out now that do instruction also come with DVDs that you can play along with as you practice.