How do you "half-valve" on the trumpet?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Advertise, Jun 11, 2009.

1. Advertise

Advertise New Friend

Mar 6, 2009
    I can't seem to find any information about this, probably because "half-vavling" isn't the proper term.

The effect I'm talking about is when you do not depress a valve completely and play into your horn. To create this effect properly, do you hold down all 3 valves? How do you control what pitch you create? If I wanted to half valve a G (in the key of Bb) how would I do it? What about half valving an A?

Thanks.

2. rbdeli

rbdeli Mezzo Piano User

May 8, 2009
    CO
    I think this is an excellent question. I've never been able to make half-valving sound very musical. Some guys seem to do it so naturally.
    Look forward to hearing some answers on this trumpet topic.

3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Half valving just means pushing the valve down a bit (not half way) to make the sound fuzzy and less centered. What valve we use depends on the lick and the key that it is in. a half valved G in the staff can be played with 2, 1, 23, 3, 13. For the A, I would use 12 or 3.

Less is more. That is why some players have problems - they try to use too much. Just like perfume, too much means headaches.

4. rettepnoj

rettepnoj Fortissimo User

Feb 22, 2009
    Norway
    And it will not work on all horns! It's impossible on my Selmer 80J!

5. Advertise

Advertise New Friend

Mar 6, 2009
    How do you know which valves to use? Trial and error?

6. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    I usually press down the valve needed to make the note I want, but not all the way. If it is an open fingering I will use and alternate fingering of that pitch.

7. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I never asked that question. I just used something near to the note that I was playing. There is no set fingerings. Sometimes I don't even use the valves, I just lip down a bit to get a similar effect.

8. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    I also just use what ever feels comfortable for the lick I'm playing. I really don't think about it. just play around with it. You'll come up with your own way of doing it.

9. Bay Area Brass

Bay Area Brass Piano User

Mar 2, 2007
    San Francisco
    Jon Lindberg is right in his earlier post. In my experience, this technique doesn't work on all horns. On my present horn it works well, but other horns I've played haven't been as effective doing this. You can half valve on every horn, but the tone of the effect seems to work better on some trumpets due to physical design. Every horn has it's own character.

10. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    I work the valve that represents the next semitone, so if I wish to descend from a G on the stave I "partial valve" the second valve. I use the term partial valve because - as has been pointed out here - all trumpets are not the same. My student B&H is a true half valve, my Getzen Eterna is a touch over a third, my Getzen 700SP is spot on one third otherwise I lose tone.