How do you play with a more open throat?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by NYCO10, Feb 25, 2010.

1. NYCO10

NYCO10 Pianissimo User

Feb 20, 2010
    United Kingdom
    When i start to get tired my notes above g on top of the stave start to sound very weak and thin is this because my throat is closingup? if so how do i correct this?

Peace NYCO10

2. kcmt01

kcmt01 Mezzo Forte User

Sep 25, 2009
    Polson, MT
    I open the top button on my shirt and loosen my tie.

3. The Kraken

The Kraken Piano User

Mar 28, 2007
    Gold Coast - 805
    Resting longer helps me

But I beleive someone would have to see what your doing to give you sound advice, but then again I have been wrong once this year:-)

4. guyclark

guyclark Piano User

Feb 28, 2008
    Los Gatos, CA
    One way is to make your throat do what it does when you try to sing at the bottom of your vocal range. Feel what that feels like in your throat, and try to control it, opening and closing it, until you've got the control. Then do that while playing.

You'd be amazed at the change in tone color you get when you really open up! (you're increasing the size of one of the resonant chambers in the overall air column from your lungs out to the horn. Making it larger lowers the resonant frequencies, and that helps promote the lower harmonics in your resulting sound.

Hope that helps!

Guy

5. Cornyandy

Cornyandy Fortissimo User

Jan 9, 2010
    East Yorkshire
    I do't want to sound like a know it all but if Guy is talking about the lower vocal range in terms of singing then the way my last singing teacher explained the open throat needed for opera was in getting my larynx low using an ah vowel with what he described as an operatic "Sob" at the onset of the note. A sort of scooped Haaa sound breathing into the note. I feel the same thing happening when I am playing well. Now for the disclaimer I'm not a brass teacher nor am I doing anything but giving blind advice about what works for me and the best way if you feel you have a problem would be to consult an experienced teacher

Cheers

Andrew

6. Pedal C

Pedal C Mezzo Forte User

Jan 24, 2005
    It's probably not exactly your throat, but tension in your neck and jaw areas. Relax your shoulders and try breathing as if you're saying the word "OH."

7. sjk

sjk New Friend

Apr 10, 2008
    I learned this the other day and it makes sense, I don't have proof it's true.

You can not physically tighten your throat, it is actually the back of your tongue that tenses up causing the sensation of a tight throat. Try and tense the back of your throat and then release that feeling. When I do it I can feel my tongue relax. Just knowing where this tension is coming from and having an new perspective of how to control it may help.

8. Cornyandy

Cornyandy Fortissimo User

Jan 9, 2010
    East Yorkshire
    Another singigng exercise to reduce tension in the back of the tongue (rather difficult to do but I have seen Placido Domingo do it) Is so sing a few notes with the tongue curled backwards and then release it and sing the same few ntoes. Sorry if this thread seems to be turning into a singing workshop but I think these ideas are cross discipline.:dontknow:

Cheers All

Andrew