How do you practice Arban's

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by keigoh, Apr 8, 2013.

1. keigoh

keigoh Pianissimo User

Oct 24, 2012
    Tokyo
    Is there a good daily practice routine that uses the Arban method?

2. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Start at the beginning and get it so solid that you don't need to see it, then the next page and the pages thereafter the same. I haven't finished with it yet.

3. dlewis

dlewis Piano User

Nov 22, 2006
    RANDALLSTOWN MARYLAND
    Go to the Eric Bolvin web site and check out the Arbans manual

4. Comeback

Comeback Forte User

Jun 22, 2011
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Hello, keigoh. You apparently are not taking lessons from a teacher in whom you have confidence or you wouldn't be asking this question. Any chance you could take such lessons? If not, this approach has been helpful to me. Start at the beginning and master each exercise at maximum indicated tempo, observing all dynamics, fingerings, etc. Don't forget you are a musician. You will quickly find a challenging level of difficulty. Now progress may slow a little, but stick with it. I'm a 60 year old comeback trumpeter that had decent high school level skills 43 years ago. I have worked Arban's with this approach for nearly two years now, and have been pleased with my progress. But you need to understand that I had six or seven years of expert instruction all those years ago that I still rely upon. I am also a student of the trumpet and do my share of studying of texts and techniques beyond regular practice. Good luck.
    Jim

5. Richard Oliver

Richard Oliver Forte User

Jul 18, 2006
    Casper, WY
    Eric's primer is top notch :-)

6. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Yes, but there are even better ones that don't.

7. Comeback

Comeback Forte User

Jun 22, 2011
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Always stirring up....uh...stuff, aren't you!:roll: Not saying that there aren't, though, but Arban's seems to work well for some of us.
    Jim

8. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Let's just say, I like to throw ideas into the blender. But then again, I do always speakith the truth...

9. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    The approach to take with Arban's depends on your level of playing. I don't see it as an exercise book for beginners or early-level students, because there's not a lot of material to hone those early skills while keeping a good level of interest. It's good for the intermediate and advanced player, though, because of the huge resource of difficult music to work on. I usually hit some of the multi-tonguing exercises, some of the interval studies, and then work on the difficult studies/solos in the back of the book. I work on the ones I can't play instead of just blowing through the ones I can. I'll finish it up with a few of the numbered solo and duet pieces to settle down and add something more melodic to the practice session. That's my self-taught method that works for me. I'm sure most of the published Arban's practice guides are probably more logical and methodical, though, so that's probably a better way to approach "the book".

10. edfitzvb

edfitzvb Forte User

Jun 10, 2008
    Woodlawn, VA
    The FIRST step in a good practice routine is to PLAY every day whenever the opportunity arises. Arban's is an excellent resource for working on targeted areas that need improvement as are the Clarke studies, Colin's and Schlossberg, etc. All will yield results, and NONE of them will give results without face time. That being said, if they are not at hand, play anyway. Done.