How do you practice Arban's

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by keigoh, Apr 8, 2013.

1. kctrumpeteer

kctrumpeteer Piano User

Dec 23, 2009
    Although out of print the Prescott technique system was a good way to go through a systematic approach to the Arban's manual. With the first series taking about 2 years to go through, so I'm under the impression you could study and learn something new by utilizing Arbans over the course of a lifetime.

Having an instructor to help guide your way and monitor / check performance is useful too.

2. Phil986

Phil986 Forte User

Nov 16, 2009
    Near Portland, OR.
    Your question seems to be in fact, "what should be the content of a good daily routine?"
    Whatever that will turn out to be for you, you will find exercises corresponding to it in the method, unless your routine is very specifically oriented toward jazz or other styles that did not exist in Arban's days. Even at that, it is easy to adapt as Wilmer Wise has mentioned before on occasions.
    A good routine should probably include long tones, lips slurs (or flexibilities), scales and arpeggios but advise from a good teacher is better than what you'll get here.

Arban is the one-stop general store for the instrumental part of musicianship for the cornet/trumpet player. However, one can argue you should go there with a well thought out shopping list and stick to it. Just like the wife is often the best person to make that list, your teacher should prescribe the Arban exercises on which to work. A teacher is normally the best qualified person to determine what the student needs from the method.

I would not recommend to go through it page after page. The method is here to provide exercises that will enable one to play music presenting specific difficulties in execution. Some sections need concurrent work; what's the point going through page after page of double tonguing and try to reach perfection before even starting triple tonguing, all the while ignoring ornaments and scales? You won't find music including only these execution hurdles that you happen to be working in the method at that time. Some of the flexibility exercises should be part of daily routine. They don't have to be always the same, but certainly should not be abandoned once you reach the last page of that section. If you've mastered them, find similar ones from another source that will be more challenging but keep the type of exercise in your daily routine. Same applies to articulation exercises.

And most of all, don't take my word for it. A good teacher is the best guide to using Arban's method, whatever the goal.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2013
  3. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    IMO, especially with present music students, those that have a private tutor, and those that are comebackers, that the symbology of music is known or will be learned elsewhere. The manuals such as Arban's, Schlossburg, Clarke and more are not intended to inform one on the elements of music theory ... they only provide studies (etudes) that with practice of such provide the development of one's applied skill level and improved proficiency.

If I were asked why I don't have and never have used Clarke's, my answer is unique ... I learned directly from another member of Sousa's bands and when I perused Clarke's found nothing that I had not already known and often practice. It's just a factor of individualism that each of us do not have need of the information that is in all the manuals that are in the racks wherein much is duplicated from one manual to another. In the progress of my education, I've been required to take and pass many courses that I've yet to find a direct need of ... and to some extent I've found this also holds true in studies I do have need of to improve my skills proficiency with.

4. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Dale, I can't say I'm completely self-taught with a minor in instrumental music, but when it comes to Arban's Carnival of Venice I haven't got it yet to my own satisfaction, and I'm in my second copy of Arban's.

5. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    Yeah, Ed...I'll make a confession here - my formal music education ended when I graduated high school. The small university I attended had no instrumental music program at the time, only choral, and I pretty much gave up trumpet playing. I picked the trumpet back up and got serious about it around 10 years later. Arban's was my primary teacher, along with joining the local community band. In a few years, I was a much better trumpet player/musician than I had ever been before. Some parts of Carnival still kick my butt, too.

6. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    The Del Stagier's version is just as good but easier. The last variation can be played with one finger.

7. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    I was once a much better vocalist than brass player, and cannot deny that such provided the fundamentals of music to me. Age and health has taken away much of my vocal ability, but I'm still welcome to sing in the church choir on Sundays when I show up for rehearsal on Thursday evening. If only there were an active community band within 35 mile radius of me that did not conflict with my life, you can be sure I'd participate. Presently, a bunch of us "Goldies" have been jammin' and are now nearing forming a working "band" or "bands" (flexible players, the concept being much like the circus, the same show with different performers). Too late this year for bookings on the beach scene. For only April I've arranged for us to meet here in Jackson once or twice a week. Prior we met at the Senior Center, but that has become a little bit overdone and really didn't suffice for rehearsing ... we had to play and thus the repertoire was limited and becoming quite repetitive. If only we could get the same deal at the Cultural and Wellness Center for my tutoring, The band would become more of a reality.

8. Dave Hughes

Dave Hughes Mezzo Forte User

Oct 19, 2010
    Rochester, NY
    I like to warm up with page 20 and 21.

9. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    The way my instructor did it
    The Arbans is broken up into sections. I believe we didn't use the First Studies section
    Week 1 would be ex 1 in sycopation( pg 23) , Slurring Ex 1 (pg39), Major Scales Ex 1 (pg59) etc
    Week 2 Ex 2 " " )pg 23) , Ex 2 (pg 39) etc
    All with a metronome ...

10. bigtiny

bigtiny Mezzo Forte User

Aug 14, 2005
    If you look closely at the book, you'll see that there's the first studies, which cover basic fingering, range and scalar exercises, then subsequent chapters which are each designed to
    address specific areas of playing (intervallic studies, major/minor/dom7, chromatics, turns, etc.)

So, practice what you need. If you don't know all of your chromatic scales, then practice the chromatic exercises. Likewise for intervallic studies and slurs.

bigtiny