How do you practice Arban's

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by keigoh, Apr 8, 2013.

1. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    yes, if you are standing -- then lay the Arbans on the ground and stand on it when practicing -- you will be able to play notes a bit higher, Seriously - use the Arbans for like 15 minutes each practice, go through it methodically and complete each exercise cleanly and precisely -------- BUT FOR MOST OF YOUR PRACTICE time, stand on the Arbans, and play some real music -- -and have some fun with your trumpet!!!! play and be happy!!!!

2. Comeback

Comeback Forte User

Jun 22, 2011
    Fort Wayne, IN
    KT's advice is sound, keigoh, but there are some of us so warped and twisted that we actually enjoy Arban's and have fun playing from it with our trumpets!:D
    Jim

3. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    So KT, I see you use Arbans as a source to "playing higher" for the majority of your practice time assuming you stand on it for the remainder of the complete session.

4. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    interesting enough -- this method of using Arbans book, actually helps with my my high note trombone practice also -- although I must admit, I skip the 15 minute Arban's workout with the trombone, as the trumpet using the Arbans - seems to be enough "punishment" for one night!!! ROFL ROFL ROFL

5. mhendricks

mhendricks Pianissimo User

6. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    I'm not checking, but like so many other books, page numbering can change with editions of the book. Do I dare check the page numbers given herein with my Platinum Edition Of Arban's? I won't because, as I've prior stated, I just take it one page at a time ... when I don't have other etudes / practice, rehearsals, performance on my agenda.

7. barliman2001

barliman2001 Fortissimo User

Jul 5, 2010
    Vienna, Austria, Europe
    There actually is a nice book called "Exercices journaliers - gymnastique du cornettiste" by Arban himself. It's a slim volume containing selected Arban exercises and studies (inclouding a few that are not included in the big Method) that should make up a trumpet (or cornet) player's daily training. It was available from Editions GĂ©rard Billaudot in Paris.