How Do You Prepare for....

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by RHSbigbluemarchingband, Feb 26, 2011.

1. RHSbigbluemarchingband

RHSbigbluemarchingband Mezzo Piano User

Jan 17, 2009
    A week of heavy playing?

The next week, starting today, I have to do heavy duty shedding on lead trumpet parts for jazz ensemble, learn a playoff piece we are doing in wind ensemble to reorder chairs (i really want first chair.). Same goes for tomorrow, then monday we have normal wind ensemble rehearsal, plus playoff piece help during lunch. Then on tuesday, playoff, rehearsal for wind ensemble, rehearsal for jazz ensemble, then a jazz concert we are doing at our towns state of the schools. Then wednesday wind ensemble rehearsal, and more shedding of jazz parts. Thursday, wind ensemble, and then a jazz cafe, and on friday, wind ensemble rehearsal, and then a jazz band competition. And on top of that tuesday wednesday and thursday are pit rehearsal. Does anyone know of any good warms up or other things I can do to make sure my chops work well and feel well for all of these? I have a solid endurance, but lead trumpet, with my braces, takes a toll on my lips, as the rubbing from my lips vibrating leads to blisters on my lips after a long playing session...

essentially, what do you do when you have a schedule coming up of heavy playing you are typically not used too? I haven't had this heavy of playing since marching band in the fall, and this upcoming month is constant playing (I am pretty happy about that :D). Any tips/help/words of advice would be greatly appreciated!

2. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    I would just do your normal warm up and make sure you're ready before you play. The more you play, the stronger you get.

3. RHSbigbluemarchingband

Jan 17, 2009
    Thats what I try to do, I feel my chops getting stronger every week, and they feel fresh the next day, but this time I have a nice blister on my lip...I hate braces, can't wait to get them off in a month!

4. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    Mental preparation is key.

5. RHSbigbluemarchingband

Jan 17, 2009
    What do you do to mentally prepare yourself?

6. Jackson Arch

Jackson Arch Piano User

Mar 6, 2010
    Oklahoma
    First of all, your determination to achieve excellence despite the braces is admirable. Many an aspiring player has fallen to the challenge. Hope that great day when the braces are removed arrives soon for you. And, just be glad that you are young! It takes 10 times longer to build endurance when you are an old, crusty sod...(don't ask how I know).

Do you use wax on your braces? I don't recall seeing that in your post; may have missed it. That can help during the heavy playing times. It has been many decades since, but my recollections of your situation are more a matter of the braces eventually cutting into the lips after extended, heavy playing, vice blisters. No fun at all.

I think you are already on track by focusing on the warm up. EASE into it each time you start, even though you may feel as if (due to the increased frequency of your playing schedule) you are ready to play without taking the time to warm up. Give it a short, easy warm up and then put the horn down for several minutes. Give your lips a chance to get the blood going. Then ease into it again.

7. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    Know the music inside and out so I'm not just playing the notes on the page. Know to pace myself when playing so I don't use up all my strength on the first day and have nothing left.
    Listen to music in the genre so I have a fresh concept of the style in my head etc.

Eat well that week so I have energy.

8. JoeyK1

JoeyK1 New Friend

Feb 12, 2011
    Make sure to warm down when you finish playing. The muscles in your lips will tighten as you play and warming down will loosen them back up.

9. RHSbigbluemarchingband

Jan 17, 2009
    I've been playing with my braces for 3 years, they've never really hindered me TOO MUCH. But they are starting to get on my nerves, cause I feel at this point they are just holding me back, but in late March, they will be gone, very excited. I mean I've kinda taken advantage of my braces, as they keep me from using excessive pressure, cause if I do, they cut, but also extended playing periods cause blisters and cuts. I guess it follows the whole no gain without pain saying. Thanks for the advice though :play:

1970 Bb Bach Strad 37
    1971 Beuscher Aristocrat
    2000 Yammie
    2009 Dynasty Professional Marching Horn

7D Bach New York-recently replated :thumbsup:
    3C Bach