How do you set up a website? ANY Info Appreciated!

Discussion in 'TM Lounge' started by trickg, Jun 1, 2005.

1. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    I am looking for any information that anyone has regarding registering a domain name and hosting a website. If you want to know why, keep reading.

My 8 year old daughter has gotten involved in competitive dance. The instructor is well known and VERY good. (she has produced Rockettes and more than one broadway dancer.) However, she has recently started a brand new studio and the studio is still in it's very early stages of development. They have a website, but in my opinion, the site is a real dog - no images, poor content, not enough content, broken links....just not a very smooth, friendly site, in my opinion.

www.dance-x-treme.com

So, me being a computer programmer and having worked on websites before, I volunteered to rehash the site and set about developing a site that has a lot of information, a gallery with images from the contests, info on fund raisers, a map with a link to a pre-populated yahoo maps page, etc. See, I have a vested interest in seeing that this studio succeeds because of the progress my daughter has made, and the fact that she just loves doing it. I figure that a good website is a great portal to the people in the area to get an idea of what this studio is about.

I have incorporated a ton of neat stuff that is informative, easy to read and has a nice friendly feel to it. This didn't take me long to do because none of it was difficult - just static HTML as opposed to the dynamically database driven things I have worked on in the past. Unfortunately, all of that web work was done on machines that I had direct, physical access to, and I have never done something like this on the WWW.

Problem: I have been trying to get information regarding the hosting of the web site for a couple of weeks to no avail. The instructor, who also has a real interest in seeing the website revamped, unfortunately doesn't know any of the particulars - this whole thing was set up by her brother's in-law nephew. Her brother is also half owner of the studio, which complicates matters due to the whole family thing.

I am thinking about registering a different domain name such as "dance-x-treme.org" or ".net" and hosting it separately, just to get the thing off of the ground. My thought is that way I can get the site out there and available and the name can be changed on the flyers getting ready to go out, and I can synchronize the two sites at a later time, and maybe even discard the one set up temporarily.

Again, any information about doing this sort of thing is GREATLY appreciated.

2. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Hasn't ANYONE put up a website?

Surely someone knows a thing or two about actually getting a domain name and a website hosted.

3. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
  4. Happy Canuck

Happy Canuck Piano User

Oct 31, 2003
    Toronto, ON Canada
    This is the domain registration information for that site. It will give you the names of who to contact and you might be able to 'take over' the site maintenance??

Registrant:
    Bauer Computer Consulting

Address:
    9109 Honeysuckle Drive
    Easton, MD 21601
    US

First Registered:
    September 22, 2004

Last Updated:
    December 10, 2004

Administrative Contact:
    Bauer, Norman [email protected]
    9109 Honeysuckle Drive
    Easton, MD 21601
    US
    +1.4107708808

Technical Contact:
    www.123cheapdomains.com - -, Domain Registrations -- [email protected]
    1032 Irving Street, # 603
    Renew / Manage domain at 123CHEAPDOMAINS.COM - Keep for memo
    For support, please send email to: [email protected]
    San Francisco, Ca 94122
    US
    +1.4156823859

Name Servers:
    NS1.REALGOODSERVER.COM 65.98.42.210
    NS2.REALGOODSERVER.COM 65.98.42.211

5. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Manny, I told Lil' Red to chill and it appears to have worked. ;-)

Right, I already have the host information - you can do a domain search or WHOIS for just about everyone. For instance, this particular website has contact information for

Trumpet Master
    1 Snowman Lane
    Ancorage, Alaska 99524
    US
    555-555-5555

I think that is kinda cute

Anyway, I suppose that I could call the guy directly, explain who I am and what I want to do, but I have a feeling that I'll be stepping on some toes - I don't want to do that, but I do want to put up the new site.

I'll keep digging but I think that I'm going to go through

www.123cheapdomains.com

They also have a link to web hosting and you can do the whole thing in one fell swoop - it seems to be fairly reasonably priced too. I'm willing to spend some money out of pocket to get this thing going - besides, if I register a new domain name, I can get this thing going ASAP, plus, I'll be the one in charge of it. I'll have absolute power! MUWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!! :evil:

We'll see how it goes.

Thanks guys!

6. Ai_Dygress

Ai_Dygress Pianissimo User

Apr 1, 2005
    IL
    Well, for one...

You need to figure out what you are going to do with the site, cause really if you are going to do webhosting, the server you are going to be using needs to have the support that you are going to have in your page. (ie PHP, MySQL, CGI)

Second off, alot of times, the webhosting serving company can offer you a domain free for signing on with them, and if that doesnt work, you can often just find a place to get the domain for like 10 bucks a year.

There are some pretty cool packages out there right now for a decent price. I did a google and yahoo search for "Budget WebHosting" because I am not looking to do alot, and they can give you over a gig of space and quite a bit of bandwidth per month. Alot of these sites you find on a search will do comparison charts.

If you have more direct questions I'll try to answer them. You can always email me directly as well. Just private msg me with your address and I'll contact you.

Hope that kinda helps. I need more info to give you a better idea of stuff.

Chris

7. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Right. The technical aspect I pretty much have covered. I'm a computer programmer, so I know my way around the tech stuff. I used to manage a development web server that we used to develop web apps for the company and for NAVSEA when I worked for Perot Systems. I've just never done this on the world wide web. If all I had to do was set up a virtual directory on a box I had physical access to, I wouldn't even ask. :D

Other than a little flash toolbar that I decided to incorporate, it's just plain ol' HTML. No CGI, no Perl, no SQL...it's pretty plain Jane technically, but it looks really nice. I might incorporate a javascript counter too to be able to easily see how many hits the site is going to get. I'm looking at a package where I can register the domain name for like $14, and pay about $9 a month for hosting where I would have more than enough disk space and probably more than enough monthly bandwidth to handle the small load that this site will carry.

Thanks for the responses. You have given me some things to look into and more direction than I had when I first made the post.

8. Ai_Dygress

Apr 1, 2005
    IL
    I figured you knew your way around a computer :D I was just not quite sure what you were looking for. I apologize.

I've been doing the same searches as of late though.

Some times, some of these hosting places can give you the add on things for counters and the like. Lot of little but useful tools.

Check out their control panels as well, cause some are just straight ftp, and others have a nice navigation control panel.

If I can help, lemme know.

Chris

9. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Hey, no sweat...you were just making sure that I had my bases covered. :D

The biggest problem here is that I don't know any of the information about where this thing is currently hosted. If I had admin priveledges to the host computer, it would be a matter of FTPing the new files up to the host and pulling off the old ones. Believe me, the website that I threw together is a lot more slick than the one that is currently there! I just want it to be in place before the summer flyers for the dance studio go out. I want this studio to be successful because I want my daughter to continue to study with this dance instructor. It's almost the equivalent of setting a kid up to study trumpet with someone like Manny, PH, Wilmer, William V, etc. Let me put it to you this way; the other night I got a call from someone doing a clearance background investigation for a friend of mine. After the phone interview was over, we were chit-chatting about this and that and it turns out that this lady was big into the dance scene YEARS ago. When I mentioned Alyssa's instructor's name, she knew immediately who I was talking about. Regionally she is very well known and has a reputation for producing top-notch dancers, but I digress.

The website, is a portal to the public regarding this studio and I want it to reflect positively on the studio, but I can only do that one of two ways - alter the current site, or create a brand new one with a slightly different name. (.org or .net instead of .com)

Thanks again. I'll keep everyone posted on what eventually goes down and if I have to register another domain and host it myself.

10. Ai_Dygress

Apr 1, 2005
    IL
    Sounds pretty good.

I am looking forward to seeing the final product!