How do you shake?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by MadBologna, Nov 8, 2009.

Tags:
  1. MadBologna

MadBologna New Friend

Nov 8, 2009
    topic^^

2. RB-R37297

RB-R37297 Pianissimo User

Mar 12, 2009
    Winnipeg, Manitoba
    I have heard (if I recall correctly) that you basically aim for the space in between the partial of the 2 notes you're shaking on in terms of pitch and then use your hand to alter the pitch up and down. I'm not really sure though, I've never gotten a shake to work for me yet.

3. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    Work on lip flexes. A fast lip flex combined with a little hand movement will do the trick.

4. Al Innella

Al Innella Forte User

Aug 9, 2007
    Levittown , NY
    In the old days a shake was also called an exaggerated vibrato, which was just a fast back and forth motion of the right hand,some notes like a D in the staff are easier to shake if you use a false fingering like 1-3, if your talking about those wide Maynard type shakes, their really lip slurs of a 3rd,4th, or 5th, and not shakes. If you can, listen to a recording of a player doing the type of shake you want and copy it.

5. Brassmonkey

Brassmonkey Pianissimo User

Jan 6, 2007
    Florida
    Lip slurs! I practiced lip slurs and slowly increased the speed until eventually I discovered that I could shake on pretty much any note I wanted to! It turned out to be nothing more than a fast lip slur! I'm not saying that it's the only way to go, just that it's what worked for me.

6. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    First: work on lip flexibilities (lip slurs). This is easily done by simply doing bugle calls as high and as low as you can without using a lot of pressure.
    There will be at least 7 valve combinations: 0--123---13---23---12---1---2
    After you work on those for a while (5 minutes per day for a couple of months) then learn how to do the second part. Using your hand to push the mouthpiece a little to cause the pitch to go to the next partial.
    The lip slurs are something you'll practice from now on. Once you understand the power and control this exercise gives you, you won't want to loose it. However, as I've told people, the down side is, "lip slurs are terribly hard to do when first starting out".
    Your lip muscles will feel like they just came back from an oral version of the Boston Marathon. However, If you stick with it, watch out for mouthpiece pressure and only use enough air to get the job done, you'll be shakin' like Shakira.
    Well.........OK, Nobody shakes like Shakira but you'll be able to shake well if you follow this recipe and other recomendations that say lip flexibilities or lip slurs.

7. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I physically shake the horn for a shake. I use lip trills for lip trills.

A serious trumpet player needs it all and everything in between! Learn both and don't worry about it. It is not an either or!

8. Al Innella

Al Innella Forte User

Aug 9, 2007
    Levittown , NY
    A shake is a shake, and a lip slur is a lip slur, they are two different things!

9. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    It's called a SHAKE, you shake the horn.

Here is a clip of Mike Williams of the Basie band, sitting in for me while I danced with my wife.

Watch him shake at the 13 second mark, and right around the 1 minute mark

10. ComeBackKid

ComeBackKid Fortissimo User

May 11, 2009
    Yorba Linda, CA
    That's pretty good but it sure seemed to annoy the gal playing next to him.