How do you shake?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by MadBologna, Nov 8, 2009.

Tags:
  1. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    Annoy???

That is his wife and she LOVES playing next to him.

She was reallyt excited!Amanda

2. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008

LOL!!! That's what I thought too! Glad that it's his wife.

That dude has monster chops...

3. Harold Zinno

Harold Zinno Pianissimo User

Jul 17, 2007
    Connecticut
    According to "Jake" Don Jacoby, I was instructed to shake as follows:

Raise the tongue to where you are on the sharp side of the note and use your forearm of your right arm to enable the shake. First movement moving the horn in towards your face, keeping your bicep fixed and using just the forearm. Practicing your vibrato in this way is a good precursor to the shake.

4. jdostie

jdostie Piano User

Feb 20, 2008
    Interestingly (to me anyway), when I was 17, I learned to do what I thought was a trill by doing a fast slur and augmenting it by rocking the horn slightly. I don't think I could do that today - although, I can do a fair lip trill (fast slur) between G on the staff and G above. If I attempt to do more of a "shake" I end up doing all kinds of weird things to my sound.

I imagine as my "comeback" or maybe it's not really a comeback, but actually learning correctly for the first time - progresses I'll learn to do both. For that matter, I don't really create any kind of vibrato via horn movement, it's all internal - though I could not tell you exactly what I'm doing, I can feel it if that makes sense.

5. operagost

operagost Forte User

Jan 25, 2009
    Spring City, PA, USA
    LOL... she should stick to playing her part, which is lacking. Simply no support under the lead player.

Hmm... no maybe it's the third part. Recording is a little spotty. Sorry to be a jerk about it!

Last edited: Nov 10, 2009
  6. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    Watch Doc in this old clip, he shakes the horn.

7. richtom

richtom Forte User

Dec 7, 2003
    Fabulous clip!
    Three titans of the trumpet and one of the most talented men in show business. How many entertainers had Steve Allen's all around talent? Composer, author, pianist, actor, comedian, one of the greatest talk show hosts, and early television pioneer.
    For those who weren't alive, that was the original Tonight Show with host Steve Allen, music director Skitch Henderson, and a budding star, Doc. This clip was from somewhere between 1954 and 1957, the era Steve hosted the tonight show, but I would surmise this clip is probably from 56 or 57.
    And yes, a shake is done with the hand.
    Rich T.

8. brassplayer

brassplayer Pianissimo User

May 6, 2009
    San Gabriel, CA
    Not to hijack the thread, but I have to agree 1000% on Steve Allen. And don't let his performance on trumpet fool you. Allen was a monster musician, as well as being a true Renaissance Man.

The Tonight Show hosts that came after him simply pale in comparison. Sort of makes today's Leno/Conan debacle totally laughable.

9. wiseone2

wiseone2 Artitst in Residence Staff Member

Nov 19, 2003
    Brooklyn,NY
  10. brassplayer

brassplayer Pianissimo User

May 6, 2009
    San Gabriel, CA