How do you work on range?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by BudBix, May 4, 2007.

1. BudBix

BudBix Pianissimo User

Sep 25, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Manny,

I was wondering how you, as a classical trumpet player, work on maintaining and extending your high range?

Thanks,
    Reid

2. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Reid,

It's no more complex than playing a lot. If I maintain an appropriate amount of face time with the horn, that's a big part of it. It's not always easy to do but it's my job and I have to bring my best to Orchestra Hall.

Now, if I spend ALL that time in the middle register I'll lose the brilliance of the upper register after a while. You know, that "pop" at the front of a high note that makes it exciting to listen to (Mendez comes to mind). I practice from Walter Smith's Top Tones for the Trumpeter. That book can kick your butt if you don't keep at it. The two-page studies from that and Charlier are good for endurance and upper register. So are the St. Jacome two page studies.

I also find playing the smaller horns valuable on a regular basis. Playing Arban's on the Eb is a GREAT way to develop your sound, endurance, and upper register on that horn.

There's a lot to do and it's a question of imagination.

ML

3. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    In addition to the above, lots of guys have spent their time with Stamp, and will even go so far as to practice some of the Claude Gordonish exercises. The "range for range's sake" kinds of exercises come in handy for tacking on those incredible, (but tasty) high notes on the ends of tunes during pops concerts -- not appreciated when playing Mozart (but way, way fun!)

4. BudBix

BudBix Pianissimo User

Sep 25, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Thanks!

5. W Scott

W Scott Piano User

Dec 8, 2003
    Carson City, NV.
    Clarkes Technical Studies can be used to build your range. Just take the first three pages of exercises and on the last page (Ex. 25) just repeat the exercise taking the line up one half step. When that is easy, take the line up another half step, and just keep going.

Lip flexibility seems to be a key and Dr. Charles Colins '100 Original Warm-Ups' will build chops and range. The exercises are based on alternate fingerings and you really learn to use your air and chops to produce a note, along with sharpening your hearing.

Good luck, and be patient as building a strong high range takes time.

6. _TrumpeT_

_TrumpeT_ Piano User

Apr 26, 2006
    I transpose my Arban etudes. I also use the scales from Top Tones. Double tonguing, triple tonguing, lip trills and all that stuff in the upper register are very good too.

7. Siegtrmpt

Siegtrmpt Mezzo Piano User

Nov 21, 2005
    Virginia
    I like to take tunes out of the Real Book and transpose them up to whatever key pushes my range that day.

8. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    There's something that I should make clearer about working the upper register. I noticed that there was a suggestion to take the Clarke studies and transpose them ever upward and that's a good idea. I would submit that one of the things clasical place have to be good at is picking off quiet high notes. Strauss, Mahler, contemprary works are full of that kind of elusive technique.

Therefore while extending the range vis a vis Clarke's and other such normally slurred studies, I would very much suggestion tonguing those as well. Alternating between forte and pianissimo playing would depend the arsenal. We don't have the luxury of articulating things how we necesarily want; the composer has a pretty good idea of how he wants it so make sure and keep the tongue versatile.

I would dare say that classical players should practice the upper register articulated more than slurred in order to keep up with the demands. I have to play that West Side Story symphonic suite and have to pick off four high Ebs with other picked off notes in between. Then another week might have me playing the chorale to Mahler 3 with it's requisite high B in piano.

So, like that.

ML

9. 40cal

40cal Forte User

Dec 13, 2005
    Minnesota

Sweet, now I have an excuse for the boss to get another horn!!!!:D

10. stchasking

stchasking Forte User

Jun 11, 2006
    Now we both have a reason to buy a Chinese Eb trumpet. Only $100.00