WTS: How do you...

Discussion in 'Bb Trumpets' started by Msen, Oct 22, 2015.

1. Msen

Msen Piano User

Dec 28, 2011
    I live in the Horn
    ...buy a trumpet from this forum? How can you be sure that your money will not "dissappear"?

2. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008
    There are no guarantees in life, so there's always a degree of risk involved when selling to an unknown party (or any time it's not a face to face transaction). That's true of any online purchase, not just this forum.

To mitigate risk I use some basic guidelines:
    - After initial e-mail correspondence I always get a contact number and speak with the person on the phone.
    - I look at the person's history on the forum. If they don't have a long history on the forum then the phone call/getting to know the person is more important.
    - I only use PayPal.
    - No overseas sales, regardless of how solid the person seems

Even with these guidelines there's no guarantee of success. You have to use common sense and your gut to tell you if things feel right (or not).

3. bumblebee

bumblebee Fortissimo User

Jan 21, 2010
    Great Southern Land
    You could consider engaging an escrow service. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Escrow if you don't know how that works.) If you pick a well-known one you should be safe (and so should the seller). If an unscrupulous seller (who is really a fraudster/thief) picks one for you (i.e. a fake one which is actually just them) then you will probably lose your money.

I've never used an escrow service myself, and the one time I bought a trumpet from overseas (not from a TMer so far as I know) I called the seller and spoke to him before committing to buying, and as he was a film maker with a website I suppose was reassured by that too. I used PayPal which I suppose protected me a bit, and presumably the seller too.

--bumblebee

4. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    I agree to most of this.... except the part where it cuts out overseas - that seems a seller's issue.

I have bought quite a number of horns off TM classifieds. Never had a problem. I have asked for USPS International for posting here, and never had a single problem. Packing has always been good, and if I think the seller has little knowledge then I will dictate the type of packaging - but rarely been an issue.

I would view it safer than Ebay in that I can check the seller, his posts, his attitudes and his honesty.

Our only import Tax is a 10% GST on items over $1000. And this just means things get hung up in Customs, there is paperwork and charges, then we wait and eventually get it. So if less than $1000 it is more easy to import, and so horns worth less than $1000 are more attractive for us to buy -

I just check it is a current active Member, that I can check the Posting History. No fly by nighters. No idiots.
    I only Pay with Paypal - there is protection there against scammers.
    Once I sent my Money via a Bank Transfer to "OldLou" when we did our first deal. He had never sold Overseas, so I needed to assure him all was OK.

There are certain members here who I would trust implicitly, other I would never touch with a Barge Pole.
    You are the one with the money, so you can choose where to spend it - spend it wisely.

If a Seller says "USA only" then I will still ask the question, even on Ebay most people that say "USA only" but when asked. they are happy to sell to me if I stipulate the Postal service when I ask the question.

5. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    It is probably safest to find someone that you can trust "near" that instrument and let them pick it up in person. I can think of 20 or 30 members here that I would not be afraid to ask.

6. barliman2001

barliman2001 Fortissimo User

Jul 5, 2010
    Vienna, Austria, Europe
    In case of overseas shipping, you can always ask me to help. I've done shipping service for TMers before.