How does a music shop free a stuck tuning slide?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Repair and Modification' started by coolerdave, Jul 16, 2011.

1. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    try a penetrating product called fluid film

Fluid Film® | Corrosion Preventative, Lubricant and Rust Inhibitor

I spray that into all of my old horns that I get on Ebay and such -- usually there is a stuck slide. They usually free up overnight. Actually even with valves with a little corrosion -- when I spray it into the lead pipe and play for several minutes - wait a bit and do it all over again---- ok it frees up most everything most of the time
    patience. ROFL

2. craigph

craigph Piano User

Mar 12, 2010
    Japan

What is the ballpark range of what a tech might charge to free a stuck slide?

3. ComeBackKid

ComeBackKid Fortissimo User

May 11, 2009
    Yorba Linda, CA
    If you review all of the comments above, you will see that it varies widely depending on what it needed. I have a shop I use regularly and they give me the "good guy" discount. I have paid anywhere from $10 if only a few 'taps' are needed all the way to $80 if the horn had to be completely disassembled and reassembled. Even more if they had to fabricate a new tuning slide to replace the one I mangled.:shhh:

4. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    cool I located a supplier

5. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    okay.. I think I replied on some other thread.. but here is a better picture of the situation
    Someone did a real number on the Yamaha.. probably trying to unstick the slide... bent bell... broken braces ... even the the solder joint where the bell meets the third valve slide (that one is totally broken free) .. so the Yamaha needs some work. I am concerned about tension in the braces.
    I asked the question because I am starting to buy my repair inventory. I really enjoy cleaning up and selling good qualility horns to parents or anyone looking to pick up trumpet for reasonale prices. I have found some really reasonable shops in the area so for any work on a Bach or anything pro .. it goes there. I want to do the repairs properly and not just be some used car salesman just trying to get something out the door.
    It's just alot of these lower prced horns need more work then they are worth.. well as far as market value goes.
    So I asked the question so I can pick up the tools to do the job right ...
    I am going to pick up a dent ball set, reciever straightening tool, and some other items for a start. I really can't afford to go to a repair school .. I do have a real job ...
    Will keep you posted on the Yamahas fate...
    Any suggestions as far as this process goes would be welcome.
    Looking at Ferree's and Voltaw for the tools.

6. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Ah! Some dentballs to set new dents.

Crooked receivers are mostly found on the football field. I was not aware that we have a jail substitute available.................

7. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I was thinking the samething about the dent balls!!! ROFLROFLROFLROFLROFLROFL

8. phittle

phittle Pianissimo User

May 9, 2008
    New Orleans, Louisiana
    Patience is the most important tool. Let the PB Blaster (or whatever you soak it in) do it's work. I've soaked slides for weeks before even attempting extraction. Heat, soak....repeat....If you horse it out, you will more than likely damage the slide.

9. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    the Collegiate slides are free .. thanks you ... pb blaster, heat and a make shift slide puller..
    seriously.. this Yamaha has more going on ... I think it belonges to the Son of Satin.
    There are probably a few NFL tems that would love to buy something to keep theor players out of the pen
    Dent balls were probably used at Guantanomo Bay :)

10. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    I now have Fliud Film, PB Blaster, WD-40, A heat gun, soldering torch, a home made slide puller, and some other cool stuff
    The Yamaha slides finally came out but it was rather complicated.... luckily the only thing I need to replace are the two couplings (?) that connect the slides to the crook tube. They appear to be just 9/16 of .491 (inside diameter) brass pipe which I can get at Votaw ...
    The plus about the fluid film is it a lanolin based product.