How does asthma affect trumpet? (and a new video of my 5 year old)

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by samsplace, Feb 2, 2010.

1. Ichierzen

Ichierzen Pianissimo User

Sep 22, 2007
    I have a friend here at the university who has asthma and keeps a spare inhaler in his strad case, I've never seen him pull it out though. Boy he can play, beautiful tone, and all through the scale...we read Paganini's Caprice No. 24 a couple of days ago, varying tempos and range issues, and he was completely fine, played every note.

His asthma doesn't appear to be so severe though. He told me that it came about because he used to run a lot, and burned his lungs running in the cold, or something to that effect.

I doubt trumpetting/cornetting could hurt, and I'm sure the feedback vibrations would help in some way. Besides, music is a good mood elevator and higher mood status' have been proven to increase a person's health.

2. study888

study888 Mezzo Forte User

Aug 22, 2005
    Darlington S.C.
    Hello Samsplace. I am a 59 year old Asthmatic. My Dr. way back ,when I was a young fellow. Advised me to watch my weight,incorparate daily cardio exercise. He recommended I try learning to play, a wind musical instrument of my chosing. I chose the Trumpet. Today I do well on Advair, correct diet and proper use of Herbals. I keep my fast working inhalers in needed places, just in case. One in my Car,and other at my home. Since using Advair etc.,very seldom have used the fast working inhalers. The best book and info. out there to control the allergic foods etc. Is a Book written by Dr. Peter J. D'Adamo. The Book is titled (Eat right for 4 blood types). Buy the single paper back book for your Son's correct blood type. He will be a O,A,AB,or B blood type. If a RH factor,goes back under O. The Negative or Positive factor does not matter. Just the basic blood type. Make sure you know his correct blood type and buy correct book. Do not guess or assume. Dr. Adamo has also wrote a more recent and stricter book, for the Diabetic. But can still be very helpful for other ailments,that are trigger response diseases. I would go with his new Diabetic blood type book for the Super Beneficial,Beneficial,and Avoid food break down. For every bad food that is taken out,a very good one is put back in. I have to avoid excessive sugar,corn,wheat,and dairy products. For example,a correct bread replacement is Ezikiel bread,Spelt Cereral,and Almond Milk. To replace very bad cow milk of any kind. I also recommend a Board Certified PHD. trained Herbalist or NaturalPathic Dr. to work with your MD. Doctor. Natures Sunshine Herbal Company is the very best Herbal company in the whole wide world. Founded by PHD. Herbalist etc. They have the best single herbs and American,India and Chinese lung formulas. Chinese Cordeyceps just by itself may do wonders for your Son's condition. At his age,with diet correction,Herbal or medications etc.,He might out grow this lung problem. No carpet,a quality heating and cooling system with humidifier will help greatly. Hope this helps,and before doing anything, take it all to prayer to our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ, for Wisdom,knowlege and Healing. Take care.

3. RHSbigbluemarchingband

RHSbigbluemarchingband Mezzo Piano User

Jan 17, 2009
    I used to have VERY, and i mean VERY bad asthma. My doctor didn't even know how I was breathing, but I seem to have found that with the addition of the trumpet on top of the medicine, my breathing's gotten better. Obviously it doesn't stop an asthma attack, but I've come to believe that maybe the proper breathing techiniques used in trumpet playing may have helped me out a bit

4. MTROSTER

MTROSTER Piano User

Jan 25, 2007
    Canada
    Beside the usual regimen for your son's asthma, and being prepared for emegencies, the important thing is not to push it too vigorously. Exertional asthma is a consequence of overexertion as the name implies. One bright light on the horizon could be that the boy will "grow out of it" as he matures.

Keep blowin'

Dr. Mike :thumbsup:

5. RichJ

RichJ Piano User

Jan 16, 2008
    Northern Virginia
    My 8 year old has asthma and has been playing about 2-1/2 years. He has an inhaler and a nebulizer. When it flares up in allergy season he can play about 2 beats before running out of breath. But, when treated, he's fine and moves plenty of air through the horn. He also plays soccer and runs competitively. As long as its medicatef, the asthma doesn't seem to slow him down.

6. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    Thanks for sharing about your friend's asthma.

Just one clarification regarding cause-and-effect. His asthma probably did not come about because of running the cold. It sounds more like exercise and or cold air are triggers for his pre-existing asthma, which is not uncommon.

I appreciate the comments, but would like to add a caveat. The vast majority of herbal/natural/eastern medications are esentially untested, and herbalists and naturopaths are not licensed to diagnose or treat any medical conditions in this country. Most of these medications are therefore given anecdotally, with their true benefits and possible harms not fully understood.

This doesn't mean you can derive benefit from them. It sounds like they are helping you, which is great. But it's a bit of a crap shoot. And for someone with significant allergies, there's a definite risk. Run any "natural" treatments by your physician.

7. study888

study888 Mezzo Forte User

Aug 22, 2005
    Darlington S.C.
    Ditto TrumpetMD. The Lady I have worked part time with for about 6 years. She has 2 M.D. Doctors that send her their patients,to help them,when their meds do not seem to be working,or to assist the meds etc. My R.A. Nurse,who works for my personel M.D. comes to our store for her personel female needs. She has seen first hand, what synthetic pregnant Horse Urine Estrogen, can do to young or old women. A proper made and correct mg. natural Progestrone creme, can fix most women's female problems. When the hot flashes do show up, a herbal patented product called Dim Plus,by Natures Way will solve that problem. All this info. and a Book, was put out by a gynecologist M.D. doctor,Dr. John R. Lee. The lady I work for, has helped lots of people,I have seen to many keep coming back,to just call it a crap shot. Natures Sunshine Company is not a crap shot Herbal formula company. With their products,is given a complete listing of what is in it, all M.D.medical studies, Phd. Herbal studies,and testing info studies provided. The major drug companys tried to stop the Chinese Red Yeast Rice from being used in this Country. Works better than any of their Cholesterol lowering and liver destroying chemical drugs. The Nafta agreement stopped them. And on and on it goes. I use my M.D. and Herbal. But I approach both with caution. Glad both are available. But either can be a crap shot. I encourage all to watch the Doug Kaufman show. He has a lot of M.D.'s and Dentist etc. on his show. A lot of great info. to be had there.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2010
  8. ska

ska Pianissimo User

Sep 12, 2009
    Estonia
    I used to know a fellow I went to school with like 5 years ago, he has asthma aswell, but played trombone like a friggin machine! So my superficial guess is that asthma really hasn't got much to do with it.

9. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Hey Sam's Mom - just to go a little laterally with you - see if he can hold his trumpet (with his left hand) and play the trumpet with his right pinky 'waving in the air' and not 'anchored' in the pinky hook/ring.

If he is able to hold his trumpet securely, 'releasing' his pinky will allow the third finger to better control the third valve - it's a funny physiological thing that the third finger is quite restricted, on some of us, when the pinky is restricted - not so with any other digit though.

10. prcruiser

prcruiser Pianissimo User

Mar 29, 2008
    Rochester, NY
    My chronic asthma was trigger by allergies. Being allergic to everything under the sun and from an impoverished community my family couldn't afford treatment. Mom had me take up the trumpet with the goal of playing for the church so she started me at 4 with a donated horn.
    It was truly a blessing in disguise. I've developed strong healthy lungs and love my quality of live. Good luck with your little one. You're doing the right things.
    Regards,
    Jorge