How does asthma affect trumpet? (and a new video of my 5 year old)

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by samsplace, Feb 2, 2010.

1. mineo50

mineo50 Pianissimo User

Jan 15, 2011
    Barstow, CA
    I realize this thread is over a year old, however, I was diagnosed with reactive airway desease in March this year. I had a very bad chest cold and combined with major winds i found I was having trouble breathing.
    I went to my MD and was told there was a definite rattle in my chest. She gave me an anti-viral and an inhalor and sent me home. Three days later I got to visit the emergency room. After three hours and a breathing treatment I got more meds and a different inhalor. So currently there are still times when breathing seems to become desperate and the inhalor travels with me always.

This situation kind of put me off my trumpet playing for a couple of months. I just picked my horn up again about two weeks ago. I wasn't sure if there would be any bad effects from playing it. I just missed it horribly. This thread has alleviated my fears and I am glad to see others with asthma continue to play and evidently quite successfully.

Thank you all for this information!!

2. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    Glad to hear that!

Keep playing!

I do, and I am a working professional lead player.

The asthma CAN be controlled!

3. LEBOUTILLIER

LEBOUTILLIER New Friend

Apr 1, 2011
    Iowa
    I have had asthma for the past 26 years and I don't know how much trumpet playing has helped (other than learning how to control my breathing). There was a class I took when I was 5 at the Des Moines Blank Children's Hospital that was very helpful in learning what asthma actually does to your body. We even got to inflate hog lungs with straws (it was SWEET!). I do think that trumpet playing has helped me to understand that even though I have this crummy disease I can still do things requiring my lungs to work, and confidence is key in everything.

4. TrumpetTheKid

TrumpetTheKid Pianissimo User

May 1, 2011
    Sacramento Area
    I have asthma and I think my trumpet playing has helped it, I haven't had an asthma attack in 3 years and I started playing trumpet 3 years ago, so I think that may be the reason. Also, while it is impossible to increase lung capacity (other than by normal growth and aging) playing a wind instrument teaches you how to use your complete lung capacity, which the average person does not do.

5. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    Hi mineo50. I'm glad to hear you are encouraged to continue playing.

I agree with Solar Bell and TrumpetTheKid. Playing the trumpet can contribute to aerobic conditioning, which would be of benefit to someone with asthma.

Mike

6. mineo50

mineo50 Pianissimo User

Jan 15, 2011
    Barstow, CA
    Thanks again to all.....After 50+ years trumpet playing would be a hard habit to break.:thumbsup:

7. RichJ

RichJ Piano User

Jan 16, 2008
    Northern Virginia
    I'm not a doctor, but I do wonder if trumpet playing can increase lung capacity as measured by a doctor. My 10-year-old has been asthmatic for years yet a few weeks ago the doctor measured his lung capacity at 144% of normal for a non-asthmatic child of his size. They were frankly shocked and had never seen such a result from an asthmatic child. I think 4 years of trumpet playing may have something to do with that reading.