How does changes in the teeth affect your embouchure?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by trmpt_plyr, Sep 26, 2009.

1. trmpt_plyr

trmpt_plyr Pianissimo User

Jun 12, 2009
    US
    I know that getting braces can affect your trumpet playing, but don't know in what way. If you get braces or have a tooth removed, in what way will it affect your playing?

2. john7401

john7401 Pianissimo User

Jul 3, 2009
    I don't know about removed teeth, but for me after about a week of getting braces my playing was pretty much back to normal. The only thing is sometimes you have to watch the braces digging in a bit and they can sometimes leave marks or swell a bit on the inside. It may hurt and or feel funny at first, but it shouldn't last too long.

You'd also think that after you get them off you would be a lot better, but for me it seems to have left me somewhat normal if not a little worse off then before.

Thats just how it went for me.

3. trmpt_plyr

trmpt_plyr Pianissimo User

Jun 12, 2009
    US
    Digging into your teeth? Wouldn't that make big marks in your teeth?

4. bnbtrpt

bnbtrpt Pianissimo User

Nov 3, 2003
    Someone told me that if you get rid of your wisdom teeth you can have double C's.

5. trumpetnick

trumpetnick Fortissimo User

Nov 16, 2005
    Vidin, Bulgaria
    That's BS. Get you breathing and your embouchure together - that's what it takes. Whether you need to get rid of your wisdom teeth for any medical reasons, that's a totally different story.

6. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    For this "general" question, there is no answer. It is like asking "if I fall out of bed or down the stairs, what will happen". The answers are obvious to the awake.

trmpt_plyr, I don't know how old you are, your trumpet background or anything else but your posts could be equally possible from someone who does not take the time to think the questions through, OR someone looking to start trouble. I will assume the first and recommend that you take some time BEFORE posting with our search feature. If you enter "teeth" or "braces" you will find a wealth of information. Read it, then if you still have a question, feel free to ask. We will be able to tell that you have at least made a minimal effort instead of expecting spoon feeding.

I do not have any trouble with beginners posting here. There are many things not immediately obvious when getting started. Your recent posts are more like blogging than a true interest in the instrument. That does not help your information level or the site.

7. john7401

john7401 Pianissimo User

Jul 3, 2009
    "Digging into your teeth? Wouldn't that make big marks in your teeth?"

No it does not dig into your teeth but sometimes the insides of your lips. After re-reading my old post I made it sound a lot worse than what it really is. People who get braces should be fine with them once they get used to them. *Just make sure you listen to rowuk*

8. Dave Mickley

Dave Mickley Forte User

Nov 11, 2005
    Indianapolis
    any changes to your oral cavity will effect your playing to an extent. I have caps on both of my upper front teeth and until the end of my senior yr. in high school I had two gold caps that would come off from time to time. I would get one knocked out but sometimes both of them and then the dentist would glue them back in. the problem was they never went back in exactly the same and each time it changed my emb. slightly, it would take me about two weeks to get back to where I was before messing with my caps. about 7-8 yrs ago I got a partial plate on my lower left side and that really effected my tone - to the better. I talked to a really good teacher and he said any change to the oral cavity can effect your tone. if you are really serious about your trumpet get a teacher that is also an emboucher expert and that will help you greatly.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2011
  9. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    And how dental work affects one of us may not be the same as the same procedure affects another. That said, having a upper tight incisor crown break off to the gumline liierally brought my playing to an abrupt halt. Thence, 1,2,3 other crowns broke the same way, the latter two as had once anchored my partial. Well, now with all my remaining upper teeth and those crown roots removed, I'll get the mold made for a full upper denture tomorrow, thence only in the year ahead will I be able to say how such affected ME. I do know that other trumpeters play with a full upper denture, thus I do not forsee why I can't ... unless I don't make the effort needed.

10. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    Robin is correct.. no one but God knows what will happen... I know people who couldn't play.. people who would bleed because the braces cut into there lip.... but I see here some people. did fine .... so who knows.... it's not a slam dunk either way