How does one build a trumpet?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Dviglis, Nov 16, 2014.

1. Dviglis

Dviglis Mezzo Piano User

Mar 29, 2014
    VA
    I have seen the how it's made on trumpets and it really does not look that hard to do but rather takes practice to get it right (kind of like playing the trumpet:D). After seeing Brekelefuw and his tuning slide I was curios if I could do that... Although I do not have any equipment, nor any experience with metal working I thought it would be a cool project to take on. I do understand that one does not simply make a tuning slide but, a little guide on how to do it would be helpful in my quest. I hope to one day build my own horn but obviously should start with something basic like the slide. Some things that would be greatly appreciated are-
    - List of materials
    - step by step guide
    - And a few pictures if you have any on hand

I am also willing to make some of my own machinery if possible. Also since I previously mentioned I do not have any metal working experience, specifics will help.

Kang-Ling likes this.
  2. musicalmason

musicalmason Forte User

Dec 14, 2003
    Pa
    You might want to start by learning some basic repair techniques. Skipping over soldering, dent work, slide work and valve work and jumping right into metal forming seems just a tad optimistic.

This is kind of like going on to an automotive forum and saying "I don't change my own oil and have never cleaned a carb, but I'd really like to start building my own engine in my garage, any advice?"

Advice: start small, start simple.

3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Building trumpets is something that even the established companies have to invest in to get their employees up to snuff.

If you want to just jump in, I would suggest this:
    Natural Horns by Richard Seraphinoff - Print Version

I will very strongly advise against YouTube diy methods. Bending tubes with pitch, lead or substitutes is only one of the things that can be fatal if you forget something..........

4. Dviglis

Dviglis Mezzo Piano User

Mar 29, 2014
    VA
    That workshop seems to have already passed... Any indication of when the next one might be held?

And, in response to musicalmason, I wholeheartedly agree that I am getting in over my head but, I have never been one start with the basics ;)

5. richtom

richtom Forte User

Dec 7, 2003
    Want to build a trumpet?
    See how it is done here, courtesy of Jens Lindemann's website. Go to the making trumpets/video tour.
    Video Gallery | JENS LINDEMANN
    Rich T.

6. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    My link was for the 2015 course. Reading speed above warp 5 can cause the year to change...... Richard did have the wrong header however.

I have taken the course and can wholeheartedly recommend it! All 13 of the instruments built during the course that I attended worked - most of them very well. There is a lot of very physical work. Be prepared to be pretty trashed in the evening.

Workshop News

2015 Workshop Dates!

Trumpet Making Workshops in Bloomington:

August 3-7 and Aug 10-14, 2015

European Trumpet Making Workshops in Cambridge:

June 15-19 and 21-26.
    (or possibly one German workshop 15th to 19th June, and one Cambridge workshop 21st to 26th June. Stay tuned.)

2015 Natural Trumpet Making Workshop

Bloomington, IN - Aug. 3 - 7, 2015 (Monday - Friday)

and Aug. 10 - 14, 2015 (Monday - Friday)

The International Natural Trumpet Making workshop, which has been held each year since 1993, in Bloomington, Indiana, and in various European locations, will be offered again during the weeks of August 3 - 7 and August 10 - 14, 2015 at the Workshop of Seraphnoff Historical Instruments in Bloomington, Indiana.

Under the supervision of Dr. Robert Barclay, and instrument makers Richard Seraphinoff and Michael M├╝nkwitz, participants will make a natural trumpet using the tools and methods described in Dr. Barclay's book, The Art of the Trumpet-Maker, and also illustrated and described in Making a Natural Trumpet, the new workshop guide for the course by Richard Seraphinoff and Robert Barclay.

The design which participants make is based on an original by the Nuremberg maker Hanns Hainlein (1632). Familiarity with tools and metal working techniques is desirable, but not by any means necessary. In past workshops everyone has been able to complete a playable instrument over the course of the week. The work schedule consists almost exclusively of hands-on workshop time from 9:00am to 5:00pm each day, Monday through Friday. Most participants finish their instruments by Friday early afternoon, making it possible to depart from Bloomington that afternoon or evening.

Tuition for the Bloomington workshop is $850.00, which includes all materials, tools and supplies which will be used during the workshop, as well as a copy of the newly published textbook for the course "Making a Natural Trumpet" published by Loose Cannon Press. Enrolment is limited to 12 participants, and reservations are made on a first come, first served basis.

To reserve a space, send a check for $50.00 (payable to Richard Seraphinoff, organizer of the course) to the address below. This deposit will be refundable until July 1st, 2015. The balance of $800.00 will be due on the first day on the workshop. Non-US participants may reserve a space and pay the entire amount on the first day, due to the costs of currency exchange and transfers.

Lunch is provided for participants during the week.

A list of local motels and a map of Bloomington, as well as travel information, will be sent to all who sign up for the course.

Richard Seraphinoff
    2256 Birdie Galyan Road
    Bloomington, IN 47408
    Tel/Fax: 812-333-3114
    E-Mail: [email protected]

Kang-Ling likes this.
  7. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008
    This.

8. stumac

stumac Fortissimo User

Oct 19, 2008
    Flinders Vic Australia
    Buy yourself a hand held gas torch, I use an Orca, and some beaten up horns, practice taking them apart and reassembling, this will teach you soldering skills and can be good fun.

Regards, Stuart.

9. tjcombo

tjcombo Forte User

Nov 12, 2012
    Melbourne, Australia
    +1 - this is a good way to figure out the delta between your current skill set and that of a decent tech. Alas, a bridge too far for me :-)

10. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    I built my own tube drawing machine.
    Then I turned steel mandrels down on my lathe to the diameter I wanted.
    Then I prepared the tubing for drawing and drew it down to size.
    Then I annealed it, pickled it, and filled it with cerrobend.
    While the cerrobend was cooling I built a tube bending jig.
    When cool, bend and cut to size.
    Install slide tubes and align.

This wasn't a quick thing. It took me 2 versions of my drawing machine before it work, and I (as of yesterday) might have solved my tube drawing issues where I will be able to draw tubing in an efficient and timely manner, rather than it taking up to 3 hours to get the tube not to burst on drawing.

Now I am making leadpipes and have a few valve casings on the way so I can start really working on a prototype horn. When I can figure out where to store/use a bell spinning lathe, I will invest in that. I have a guy who will make one for me with all the tools, but I don't own a house and can't afford my own private work area.

Kang-Ling likes this.