How does one build a trumpet?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Dviglis, Nov 16, 2014.

1. musicalmason

musicalmason Forte User

Dec 14, 2003
    Pa
    Sounds pretty easy to me....

2. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia

3. mchs3d

mchs3d Mezzo Forte User

Sep 30, 2005
    Provo, UT
    Unfortunately, the tools look like a significant investment. I would love to restore cars but the tools are a huge investment. Same with electronics engineering, another of my interests.

4. Kujo20

Kujo20 Forte User

Sep 29, 2010
    It seems like just about any craftsman trade takes a decent investment to get a serious start. I've been slowly working my way into wood carving, knife making, and some stone carving....and it's kind of startling how much $$$$$$$ it takes just to get the basic tools!

I'm sure that it would take exponentially more money to get everything needed to make a trumpet from scratch. Tools, materials, machines, electricity to run those machines, etc etc....

Assembly is a different story though. Maybe look into that? Source some of the major parts, fabricate some of the "smaller" or "easier" parts, then put it all together.

Kujo

5. stumac

stumac Fortissimo User

Oct 19, 2008
    Flinders Vic Australia
    If you start small the cost will not be excessive, my purchases for repair, Torch $100, Dent ball set $400, Driver $90, small hand Burnisher $15. My taper mandrills I have made myself from scrap steel shafting scrounged from various sources. My original dent balls were salvaged balls from old ball bearings of various sizes, some softened and threaded to go on rods, some just braised onto rods. I have made my own wooden. plastic and leather mallets.

Compare with a set of Golf Clubs, local shop sells from $300 to $1000.

Regards, Stuart.

6. barliman2001

barliman2001 Fortissimo User

Jul 5, 2010
    Vienna, Austria, Europe
    Why not find a repair shop in your vicinity and ask them whether you can look in while they are working? Perhaps even be a "third hand" in the shop whenever you have time? That's something no repairman can resist - at least, IMHO and IME.

7. J. Jericho

J. Jericho Fortissimo User

Mar 16, 2011
    Why not just take up surgery? It pays well, and all you need are a scalpel, needle, and thread....

8. trumpetguy27

trumpetguy27 Mezzo Piano User

May 30, 2008
    Maryland
    Just remember to NOT start with the basics here either... make sure to start with a good heart transplant or something. So what if the vessels leak a "little bit" when you're done???

9. ConnDirectorFan

ConnDirectorFan Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2010
    United States
    To me, all of that sounds like a very formidable idea for learning about trumpet building. Hoxon makes great valve blocks, and you could potentially get assistance [or at least info/expertise] in some parts of the assembly process...!