How does one build a trumpet?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Dviglis, Nov 16, 2014.

1. motteatoj

motteatoj Mezzo Forte User

Feb 23, 2013
    Tuckahoe, NY
    ask Ivan, trumpetsplus, he knows inside and out and first hand

2. Honkie

Honkie Pianissimo User

Feb 22, 2013
    Agreed, I find performing amateur surgical procedures on friends and family to be a most enjoyable leisure activity.

3. ♠♥CORNET♣♦

♠♥CORNET♣♦ Pianissimo User

Oct 18, 2014
    New Jersey
    Wooden trumpets are probably easier to make than a complete metal trumpet. But if you are still interested in the metal ones start by learning basic skills then try to make a bugle or field trumpet.

4. Dviglis

Dviglis Mezzo Piano User

Mar 29, 2014
    VA
    Okay. I think I could manage a straight horn myself. It would be interesting if I made a copper bell bugle...

5. Dviglis

Dviglis Mezzo Piano User

Mar 29, 2014
    VA
    I found a pretty cool website will everything I would need to repair/build horns. I think I should start small with a few dent balls and maybe if that works out I will go and buy a bell mandrel a roller and so on and so forth.
    Tool By Name

6. BigDub

BigDub Fortissimo User

Dec 19, 2009
    Hillsborough, NJ
    This is just my common sense talking here. I have never made a real working trumpet ( just the wooden one ), but if I were to go about trying to make a trumpet I would buy some "for parts only" trumpets, not spend too much, and try making one good one by experimenting with them and becoming proficient at some or the brazing and soldering skills. When you have done that successfully, move on to higher levels and try doing it from scratch. That's my two cents worth.

7. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    Ferree's is great for repair tools, but offers almost nothing for building horns. There isn't really a supplier for horn making tools, because the important parts are made with custom mandrels.