How does one get a brighter sound on a deep cup mouthpiece?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by bachstradivarius, Oct 7, 2013.

1. bachstradivarius

bachstradivarius New Friend

Sep 27, 2012
    KY
    Was wondering how I could possibly do this on my Yamaha 16C4 GP mouthpiece. It's a great mouthpiece and I absolutely love the sound but it would seem all

that can really be played on it is a very dark sound, yet, it is an "all purpose" mouthpiece. So I'm asking how does one get a brighter sound out of one.

2. Honkie

Honkie Pianissimo User

Feb 22, 2013
    Put it on a brighter horn?

</ducks, runs> ;-)

3. VetPsychWars

VetPsychWars Fortissimo User

Nov 8, 2006
    Greenfield WI
    Have you done any experimenting with different "vowel sounds"? If you normally play with an "oh" shape to your mouth, try an "ah" shape.

Tom

4. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    Play it with a brighter style (I'm serious). Or, tune a hair sharp...:D

5. gzent

gzent Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2003
    Rochester, MN
    Making the inside of your mouth smaller (jaws closer, tongue higher) and using a smaller opening for your lips will
    do this. However, unless you are fairly experienced, you can easily mess up your playing trying stuff like this without
    proper instruction.

6. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Also consider looking toward the other end of the mouthpiece and change the gap size.

7. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    bachstradivarius, there are a couple of things that might improve our answers. When did you get serious about your playing? What groups do you play in?

8. bachstradivarius

bachstradivarius New Friend

Sep 27, 2012
    KY
    Actually, at the moment I am currently a comeback player that's been back in the game for about four monthes now. I'm a young man that's wanting to go back to school to finish what I started all those years ago as a former music education student. I am currently playing in an amateur orchestra comprised of mostly adults that play for fun but there are a few that aren't too bad. I'm going to be going back and this time finish my bachelors in education and finally ending with me getting my masters in trumpet performance with a minor in conducting. Hope this helps.

9. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    I found that pushing the air across the roof of my mouth brightens up the sound and/or the smaller the aperture of my lips the darker the tone or perhaps bigger core sound ... my I let the aperture get bigger the tone brightens up... at least for me.

10. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    I'm thinking maybe too much lip protrusion and/or using the cornet sound as your model.