How does one get a brighter sound on a deep cup mouthpiece?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by bachstradivarius, Oct 7, 2013.

1. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    I forgot about the lip protrusion part...

2. JNINWI

JNINWI Piano User

Apr 26, 2011
    Earth
    That is some good “Sound” advice you’ve been given to brighten your sound. Putting myself in your place, I would simply get a mouthpiece that brightened my sound. I would still hold on to the other mouthpiece and keep both in my arsenal, this way you can produce the sound needed for the music. I carry 3 different sized mouthpieces and choose which piece I need by the music that is going to be played. My lead piece never gets used in a church, and my big piece never gets used on a Big band Lead book, etc…..

3. Hugh Anderson

Hugh Anderson Pianissimo User

Sep 18, 2011
    smile

4. graysono

graysono Mezzo Forte User

Jan 22, 2007
    Hyde Park, Utah
    Find the Arturo Sandoval interview on this site. On it he plays--on one horn and one mpc--dark, bright, etc., etc., showing it's in you. If your mpc does most things for you now, you don't need to change it. The earlier advice about mouth aperture, saying ah, and etc is right on. Experiment a little.

5. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Absolutely!!! So you can adjust to the cup... The back side, you cannot play with, and finding the right one that opens up what ever you can do on the front side is key.

6. JNINWI

JNINWI Piano User

Apr 26, 2011
    Earth
    And if you have Mr. Sandoval’s talents you’ll do just fine on one mouthpiece, if you don’t however, you’ll work much harder than you need to get the different sounds your looking for on one piece. I like to make it as easy as I can on myself, playing can be tough enough on a person, but thats a personal thing. I agree, Mr. Sandoval teaches how to make different tones on one mouthpiece that we all should learn to do, although this has its limitations. Example…You can’t ask your typical lead player who uses lets say a 14A4A as his main piece to play a Big Band gig on a 1C, it would put him to his knees and he would probably need the professional talents of the good Dr. Gmonady to heal ! My point, we all need to know these limitations and utilize equipment when necessary.