How does the embouchure develop?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Invisible-Bob, Jan 27, 2012.

1. Invisible-Bob

Invisible-Bob New Friend

Jun 10, 2011
    What physical changes to the embouchure need to occur for a beginning trumpet player to be able to play just on an ameture level? The trumpet seems to be the most embouchure sensitive instrument. Or I guess any brass instrument.

2. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008
    Physical changes?

Just practice. Lots.

3. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    your face muscles (around jaw, lips, and other areas you never felt in your face) should actually firm up a bit. sometimes your corners of your mouth will feel tense the next day after practice.
    Mostly the muscles take TIME to build up -- and you need to rest them every other day or so ((I didn't say -- don't play -- but you need to take a easy on them if they feel sore -- so they can build up and repair themselves))

4. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    define amatuer level????????? Most of us here can't play at a pro level -- some can --- most woud say it takes several years, thousands of repetitions, and yes thousands of hours to become proficient at the trumpet (uh - playing a lot of songs that you would find - but not all the songs) --
    I guess the question for you is ---- do you plan on persistence?? consistency???, and putting in the time and effort (YEARS) to become proficient at the trumpet??? only you can determine this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

and if it was easy --- then everyone would play trumpet --- and we would have not percussionists!!!!!!! ROFL ROFL ROFL

5. Invisible-Bob

Invisible-Bob New Friend

Jun 10, 2011
    I've stuck with it for six months and despite the difficulty of it I keep picking it up.

6. joshlalonde

joshlalonde New Friend

Nov 8, 2011
    Invisible, I'll remind you that the muscles in the embrochure... are muscles! Just like any muscle, there are two important methods for building strength in that muscle; progression and overload. Progression is the idea that you start with something you can do, take a small break, and add to it. Then, the process starts over and over UNTIL... overload! You go to the point just past you abilities, then stop. Progress again, and then practice overload... a sort of vicious cycle.

Another thing; does an olympic runner show up for the race, and then just start running? NO! In that same way, I am a strong believer in warm-ups and cool-downs; take a nice, long warm-up. This would involve starting slowly, and softly, in the lower register. Don't even think of going to the higher register at that point. You can figure that out for yourself. Being only a student, my (probably flawed) routine is simple: Long-tones on middle C descending; chromatically. Then ascending. Then chromatically slur until I reach G. Then, I do long-tones on G descending to C, then ascending. Then, I do slurs, gradually increasing range. Then I do all my major scales ( and soon I'll add the minor scales). Then some tounging exercises, and then it's time to play! :)

After I'm done playing, just a few long-tones; softly, and slowly... and I'm done!

Although I'm trying to help, could I have a few pointers on how I could improve my routines? Oh! And I sometimes do Vince.. Chichouitz, or however you spell them. I want to add that to my routine too.

7. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    AND THAT MY GOOD FRIEND is the difference --keep at it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! winners NEVER quit, and quitters NEVER win!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

8. fredthewhale

fredthewhale Pianissimo User

Jun 12, 2011
    New Jersey
    I do lip push-ups.
    I had other friends who cheated and built up their lips with Botox - it isn't the same.

:roll:

9. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Actually not much changes with the embouchure. Most of the differences are between the ears. We start to "hear" the music before playing it. Learned habits then supply the correct movement patterns and we are on our way.

I think that embouchure development is a by-product of a decent routine repeated often enough. We don't need to rate or measure it. The goal is Body, Mind, Soul not chops, reading music and hardware.............

This is why I have often posted that every BRAINLESS note is dangerous. We end up becoming what we practice...........

10. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    Winners always want the ball.