How does the embouchure develop?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Invisible-Bob, Jan 27, 2012.

1. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    Playing the trumpet is a skill. Any skill can be taught. With the embouchure what we are doing is training the muscles. These are very fine motor skills that require a certain amount of drill/repetition so that the embouchure learns what you want it to do. The key here is to learn the proper way to learn these skills so that good playing habits develop. There are many ways to learn them wrong and develop bad playing habits. And in most cases these habits won't start to be a problem until you've been playing for quite a while. Now you have to relearn good habits in place of the bad habits. wasted time and effort. this is why it is a very good idea to get lessons from a COMPETENT teacher.

2. fredthewhale

fredthewhale Pianissimo User

Jun 12, 2011
    New Jersey
    wow! that's an embarrasing quote, shane.

3. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    I know, I still watch it every time it comes on. Don't know what's wrong with me.

4. Mark_Kindy

Mark_Kindy Mezzo Forte User

Jul 11, 2010
    Gainesville, FL
    I think that I would describe my embouchure development as a coordination that develops between the breath, mind/ears, and lips. You may gain some muscle strength around the lips, but really the coordination is what got everything working for me. My embouchure never really changed, I just got everything working together, instead of against each other.

5. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    wow -- that is an interesting concept ---"everything working together" --- and is one that is quite often repeated by "THOSE" pros, or really good players on TM ---definition of "really good" player, is more or less someone who has their own band, quintet, or something of notoriety --- let me mention a few names who have similiar viewpoint as you Mark ((this is my own list of peoples --- so peoples, don't go spaz on me for mentioning you)) -- Al Innella, and Gary Onady would be the top 2 --- and then (not often heard from as of late - TrickG - who until recently had a wedding band -- but as of late is being a percusionist) ---- and then of course --- we have the often controversial Local357 -----------but he is also a pro --- not sure if I can mention the band (because he has asked me to keep his professional name "secret" as a TM courtesy --- but YES - the dude can play...