How far do you pro guys travel for lessons?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by eisprl, Oct 30, 2006.

1. eisprl

eisprl Mezzo Piano User

Sep 26, 2004
    Halifax, NS CANADA
    Hi everybody!

For all you pro guys out there who still believe that there is always something to be learned:

What do you guys do for lessons?
    Who do you study with?
    how often?
    how far do you travel for these lessons? and
    what do you work on (being a professional player already)?

Just curious
    I'd still like to take lessons (but in my chosen style the closest people are in toronto about an hour and a half flight away).

Eric

2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Hi Eric,
    I have a mentor in his late 80s. He used to play 1st trumpet in Leipzig up until 1956, the he got a job as 1st at the opera in Wiesbaden, Germany. he retired in the 80s.
    I go to him as often as my schedule allows (4-5 times a year for a day or a whole evening). We work on the solo pieces that I have to prepare. Rhythmn, expression, a little bit of dynamics. It is amazing how humbling a lesson can be........... even after a great deal of preparation.
    It is as much of a social event as it is a lesson. These people are just fun to be with! I drive about 70 miles to visit him and his charming wife. When I am there, I fix his computer and stereo. A great exchange!
    For a check-up, you don't even need a trumpet player. A good singer can also give you valuable input - maybe just not in trumpet terms.

3. beartrumpet74

beartrumpet74 Pianissimo User

Jan 17, 2006
    Eric
    Even though I play professionally, I still and will always consider myself a student. I recently had the chance to gig with a great jazz pianist named Mel Rhyme who used to record and perform with Wes Montgomery. I learned more from those two gigs than I can even begin to describe.
    I personally take the chance to study with someone great whenever I can. I frequently gain insight from Scott Wendholt whom I teach alongside at the Jamey Aebersold camps....same goes for Pat Harbison who is also there every summer. I would travel as far as I needed to go, but I am always on the lookout for lessons or just a hang on music/trumpet whenever it reveals itself close by. In November I am getting together with Al Hood for a lesson/hang when he comes to Kentucky. In addition, I would look for anyone good who plays in the genre I prefer ( jazz ) ... it need not be a trumpeter. I have learned a ton from a local Vibraphonist who has played with all the heavies. he recently did a gig with Joe Lovano in Cinncinatti and he relayed everything he learned to me over a drink the other night. It was almost like getting a lesson from Joe himself!
    Anyway- Hope that helps. You will never stop taking lessons or learning, and I bet you would be surprised what might present itself in the way of learning opportunities in your local area.
    Best wishes
    Matt

4. TrentAustin

TrentAustin Fortissimo User

Oct 28, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Have horn, will travel! Will play for food... etc ;)

I have been doing a lot of travelling recently (Dallas two weeks ago, Denver last week and Wisconsin coming up in a few days). I'll travel if the gig is right or situation right! I feel the same way taking lessons. Either driving to NYC or up to Ed's is not even an issue if it helps. After my last lesson with Ed Carroll (who saved my performance of the B'burg) I'd travel anywhere for that kind of inspiration and wisdom.

Best,

T

PS: I'm also seriously thinking of emailing Gabriele Cassone for a lesson and flying out to Italy. Business trip :)

Last edited: Oct 31, 2006
  5. tromj

tromj Piano User

Jun 4, 2005
    Teaneck, NJ
    Jim over at Dillons just told me that he drove down to Maryland from NJ for a lesson with Chris Gekker.

6. jpetrocelli

jpetrocelli New Friend

Mar 6, 2004
    Norfolk, VA
    Business trip = tax deduction

7. 6pk

6pk New Friend

Mar 9, 2006
    Hong Kong
    I'd love to go to LA and get some lessons of the studio players.
    Thats about a 12hr flight, but then I do live in Hong Kong so travelling is part of life.

I haven't had a "lesson" for about 5 years, but have been working with some excellant players recently, namely Paul Panichi from Sydney, and learned loads just standing next to him!

8. Eclipsehornplayer

Eclipsehornplayer Forte User

Sep 14, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    Well, I'm no pro but it seems to me that at their core pros are no different then amateur trumpet players when it comes to this sort of thing.

I would travel as far as my budget would allow if I had a chance to study with someone who could really make an impact on my playing.

I live 2 hours from Alex Yates; yet I study with her. Yes, there are resources available closer to me. Hell the Schwob School of Music at Columbus State University is 5 minutes from where I live.

The difference is the teacher; flat out!

If Alex lived in Alaska; I'd find a way to study with her! I'm that confident in her ability to instruct and for me that makes all the difference in the world.

My .02

Last edited: Nov 1, 2006
  9. gregc

gregc Mezzo Piano User

Apr 5, 2004
    New York, U.S. of A.
    I drive a 30 minutes to my lesson. I have A 30 MINUTE LESSON. i DRIVE 30 MINUTES HOME; once a week. I'm thinking of doubling the lesson time and halving the frequency. We'll see.........

gregc

10. Alex Yates

Alex Yates Forte User

Aug 11, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    John, thank you, but dang, you make me blush. :oops:

I have flown halfway across the world for guidance and inspiration. When we hear or know of a player that plays well - regardless of whether it falls in line with what we already know or desire in our own playing, it is always valuable to gain an understanding of their perspective. As a teacher, you can never "study" with enough players as it only broadens what we can offer our students. That is the beauty of music. There is enough study for a lifetime if you want it.