How far do your lips protrude into the mouthpiece?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by SmoothOperator, Jul 16, 2011.

1. SmoothOperator

SmoothOperator Mezzo Forte User

Jul 14, 2010
    Just wondering how far you feel your lips protrude into the mouthpiece, if at all? I know without a clear mouthpiece it will be difficult to prove one way or another. It seems I can get a little better tone or sizzle by letting them protrude into the mouthpiece some. Maybe a millimeter or so. It definitely feels unnatural, after all my lips don't bend like that, and I don't use pressure to get them their either they just sort of flop there with the air stream, so that isn't the purpose of my question, but to get an idea of what people do regarding that type of technique.

2. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    Not sure exactly how far my lips protrude into the mouthpiece. BUT I can't use a shallow (ie. Schilke 14A4a for more than 10-15 minutes) -- my lips start pushing in and bottom out. Even though I use an Asymmetric -- it is depth of a 3C, and that is what works for me.

I believe it was Cat Anderson that said about high notes --"I don't press the horn into my lips and use pressure, but rather I press my lips into the horn and avoid pressure"

anyways -- the higher I go - I seem to "push my lips into the mpc" --- perhaps that is a substitute for using a shallow mpc -- because my lips press in and actually make the mpc closer and hence -- shallower for higher notes.
    that is my opinion

3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    no no no!

Protrusion is nothing that we "dial in". If you want more sizzle, get an attitude. Want to play dark, smokey? Chill!

Nick Drozdoff has a concept of high gear/low gear that he uses depending on range. It is not my thing, but it works for him.

My experience is that those who play sizzly mouthpieces only manage when their natural embouchure does NOT enter the mouthpiece very far.

4. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    just to add to that -- if you watch Nick's youtube stuff - you will find that he can play any mouthpiece -- and get just about any sound out of each of them - of course he also plays about every brass instrument known to man - and is quite adept at all of them.

just saying -- the mpc is not the "end all - be all" of trumpet playing -- but most people thing it is:thumbsup:

5. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    IMO if your lips protrude into the mpc you will change the mpc characteristics. If such is a shallower mpc ... you may say goodbye to all sound as you've bottomed out. Such protrusion is common among those who use excessive pressure. Still, naturally there is slight protrusion ... very slight.

6. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Just the opposite, I believe the mpc and how we manipulate it are the beginning of instrumental wind music.

7. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    I think when I played "lead" I widen my embrouchure ... when I want a more round sound I pull in the corners and have a smaller stream of air flowing. In a nutshell my embrouchure is more focused on orchestra type pieces.