how fast is it possible for a trumpeter to tongue?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by _TrumpeT_, Jun 21, 2006.

1. brian moon

brian moon Forte User

Thanks Derek, I have asked this question several times in the last 11 years but finally someone has an answer. I wonder how they judged the loudness? I hope that there weren't any french or russian judges.

2. highbrass

highbrass Pianissimo User

Dec 31, 2005
    Honolulu, HI
    And why we are smart enough not to choose the Amazon region as our habitat. ;-)

Liz

3. trpt2345

trpt2345 Mezzo Forte User

May 21, 2006
    Morelia, Mexico
    Derek, thanks for the link. That's why I love this site, I learn something every day. As I tell my students, when the king comes out they don't have clarinets or oboes or celli, they have trumpets. "Why do we play so loud? Because we can!"

Michael McLaughlin

"It usually takes me more than three weeks to prepare a good impromptu speech."
    Mark Twain

4. Derek Reaban

Derek Reaban Mezzo Piano User

Jun 16, 2005
    Tempe, Arizona
    There was a topic several years ago on the TPIN list about “trumpet Olympicsâ€, and I remembered that one of the members on the list had an email address with ACHIAS in it that I would see all the time and I associated it with this topic from then on.

When I was doing some research for the talk that I gave on trumpet in my kindergartener’s classroom I bumped into this web page (easy to find the good sites when you know the key words). Fascinating stuff!

I’m glad you all enjoyed the link!

5. wilcox96

wilcox96 Mezzo Piano User

Oct 31, 2005
    charlotte nc
    Also from the Achais web site Derek offered......
    Another contestant was Herodorus of Megas, whose playing was so loud that many in the audience were stunned by the concussion. ....

Of course, descendants of "Herodorus of Megas" have since changed their name over the years...to Herraduras of Mexico...purveyors of fine tequila, for which the phrase, "the more you drink...the louder we sound", was created as their slogan.

(okay...now I'm just being silly....). :-P