How good were you

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by trmpt_plyr, Jul 16, 2009.

1. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    When I was 16 I was physically very strong. I was into sports too. I played first trumpet in a marching band. We had about 110 musicians in the band.

I took lessons and really struggled. I was learning Arban and Clark and both were too hard for me. My teacher pushed with music that was over my head. I played a lot but almost never practiced.

I could hit the high notes in jazz band but couldn't read the part.

This isn't in your question, just to give you something to look forward to.

I have a student and I lend him music. Things that have 4 or 5 dates on the page because I had to do it over again, he gets in 1 week.

I started to be able to read music in college. Not well, still really playing by ear. I didn't really learn to read until I started to practice about 15 years ago.

2. ComeBackKid

ComeBackKid Fortissimo User

May 11, 2009
    Yorba Linda, CA
    Everyone has their own pace and learning curve. If you are working as hard as you can based on your goal, then that is all that you can expect. The rest is just the way life goes. When I was 16 I was 2nd chair in the High School orchestra. The next year I was first chair. Was that because I practiced a lot? No - it was because the guy who was first chair - and wayyyy better than me - graduated and I was the next best one. I did not have a great passion for music but I liked being in the orchestra from a social viewpoint and it gave me a closeup view of all of the school musical productions and I got to hang out with the 'cool' group that were the stars of those productions. Also there was a cute girl who played the trombone and I spent a lot of time focusing on how she could pucker to make that trombone play. So, there are a lot of reasons that we all learned to play instruments and - in many cases - quit playing. Yet many of us have found new reasons and have picked it up again. It is not about how good you are compared to others. It is about how good you are based on the commitment that you have and the talent that you have and the contribution that you can make to music which enriches the lives of all around you. Enjoy what you have and where you are. There are a lot of years ahead of you to make the most of that.

3. chenzo

chenzo Piano User

Jul 18, 2008
    Aust
    I remeber when I was young
    The world had just begun
    and I was happy.
    Just enjoy what you are doing and if you feel like your falling behind,

PRACTICE

4. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    We Aussies are just a bunch of sunburnt philosophers. :roll:

5. ExtraTeeth

ExtraTeeth Pianissimo User

Nov 13, 2008
    Perth, Western Australia
    I didn't play at all until I was 30.

6. tutin_trumpeta

tutin_trumpeta Pianissimo User

Apr 10, 2008
    Hertfordshire, UK
    It was when I was 16 that I realised that I wasn't as good as I thought I was. I got a new teacher, Des, (my previous one had a stroke and couldn't teach anymore) and he sorted a few problems and was really encouraging and I started to do some real work and came on in leaps and bounds and I still am doing - albeit 7 years later and with a new teacher (Des, sadly, passed away and I moved away from home)

7. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    16 seems like three or four lifetimes away. At sixteen I was playing MF's solos note for note. I had a band director that had a knack for writing music and I was blessed (and doggedly worked hard) to sound just like Maynard. If you were to ask me back then about my sound, I'd say "all I want to do is to sound like Maynard".
    Audiences were always pleased with my pryotechnics.

As for tonguing, I had a great private instructor who "pulled me by the nose" to learn Arban's. However, all I wanted to do was to sound like MF.

I think(to a large extent) the reason I was able to reach such a level was that I and the 4 or 5 people in the jazz trumpet section was not distracted by technology.
    We would get together (after school) and work hard to kick the poop out of whatever schools we had to compete with.

This also means we always took our trumpets home.
    Now days, it is not unusual for band directors require students to leave their instruments at the school.
    The question was posed just recently to one band director in my area " why don't the kids take their horns home and practice"? He said, and I quote "they practice enough at school"

I feel that being able to take my horn home and practice with by buds, having a hero to aspire to (MF) and not having the distractions of technology allowed me to play at a high level.

8. trumpetnick

trumpetnick Fortissimo User

Nov 16, 2005
    Vidin, Bulgaria
    Ditto. Being a trumpeter I just can't help it, but say so ROFL

9. ozboy

ozboy Mezzo Forte User

Jan 17, 2007
    Australia
    I thought I was brilliant.

10. wiseone2

wiseone2 Artitst in Residence Staff Member

Nov 19, 2003
    Brooklyn,NY
    I was playing in bands with Lee Morgan, Bobby Timmons, Tootie Heath, Jimmy Garrison and the other kids. I was first trumpet in the All-City H.S. Orchestra and the All City H.S. Band and All State H.S. Orchestra. I played first trumpet with the Germantown Symphony, the Haddonfield Symphony, the Lansdown Symphony. I was a student of Sigmund Hering.
    I was busyROFL
    Wilmer