How good were you

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by trmpt_plyr, Jul 16, 2009.

1. bigtiny

bigtiny Mezzo Forte User

Aug 14, 2005
    16....let's see:

- I had been the first chair player in all of my school bands for the past 3 years

- I was starting to learn to improvise - school jazz band and going down to nightclubs on the South Side for jazz jam sessions. (where some VERY tolerant, helpful players let me learn....)

- I was playing gigs with funk/rock bands and did a couple of union contract jobs (backup orchestra for Teddy Pendergrass, Nancy Wilson, etc.) 4th chair stuff.

- I wanted to be a musician in the worst way...when I wasn't working or in school or doing the playing above, I was practicing!

- and I had learned by then NEVER to judge my progress against someone else's. I always judged my progress based on my own evolution as a musician.

bigtiny

2. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    Good enough to know I had a LONG way to go if I wanted to be a professional!

DanZ_FL likes this.
  3. operagost

operagost Forte User

Jan 25, 2009
    Spring City, PA, USA
    That's funny; my HS director used to say, "This is rehearsal. Practice at home!" And since when does a director get to tell you what to do with your own instrument? I don't even care what kind of crackpot reason s/he has.

4. DanZ_FL

DanZ_FL Pianissimo User

Jun 16, 2009
    Clearwater, Florida
    :cool:

...I'll forgo the list of first-chair this and all-state that and ditto the above.

In addition, at 16 I was good enough to know that no matter how good I was there would always be somebody better. This attitude may look defeatist on the surface, but on a deeper level it lets you focus on yourself, and, as bigtiny said, "NEVER judge progress against someone else's".

Regarding improvisation at the time -- too shy and sucked at it. Never developed it. I don't think it's my calling.

5. john7401

john7401 Pianissimo User

Jul 3, 2009
    How good was I at 16? I'll let you know in a year :-)

6. Bear

Bear Forte User

Apr 30, 2004
    USA
    At age 16.... I was laying in a hospital thinking I would never leave alive.

How's that for a story opener? And it's true to boot!

At 16, I was your average kid who liked video games more than practicing, and girls more than video games. "Natural talent" carried me far, but now I'm making up for it. Besides all the first chair, etc crap, I was also involved in martial arts and marksmanship classes. They are still my loves today. If I wasn't a musician, I would be in the military, hopefully SF or sniper school... athough, I do make a big target... grrrr.

7. Bloomin Untidy Musician

Bloomin Untidy Musician Piano User

Jan 14, 2008
    Staffordshire
    I was a big fish in a microscopic pond. Truthfully, i never really stretched myself, or practiced intelligently. Part ignorance, and part apathy. If you are wanting to go pro in the future, do what i should have; have a few lessons with an excellent teacher. It will save time, and stress in the long run.

Best of luck

8. EdMann

EdMann Mezzo Forte User

Sep 20, 2007
    Los Angeles
    16 was BIG for me. I was 1st chair in the high school concert band having waited my turn for the real talents to graduate. Coincidentally, our BD got all ambitious and enrolled us for the International Music Fest in Vienna. We got a bid and raised money by beating the Guiness record for longest concert and having Count Basie do a concert at Flint Center in Cupertino. Then, off we went to do battle against the Poles and the Scots and the bloody English, and we won!

Well, after we took a bus trip to Paris for a lunch with the mayor at the Hotel de Ville, we flew home, landed at San Jose and half the school was there to great us with a news crew and, most important, the cheerleaders. The band even got a routine from them (so to speak). I was just hoping the German beer we got in Berlin survived the trip in my luggage (it did!).

It was a very good year.

Ed

9. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    Hi operagost,
    Oh my, I totally agree. I would have had a fit if someone told me what to do with my property. Especally my trumpet. But, unfortunately, that is the state of things and the kids do what he (the director) says and before you ask, the quality of their performances are mediocre at best. They usually get clobbered in competitions.
    I like what your director says. It reminds me of my old band director.

10. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    John,
    you have time to make something VERY special happen. Start today! We will help!