How good were you

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by trmpt_plyr, Jul 16, 2009.

1. FreshBrewed

FreshBrewed Mezzo Piano User

Nov 11, 2003
    Houston, TX
    At 16, I was busy being a kid. I think some, not all, musicians who want to be great let their instrument take over their life and it just isn't healthy. I went to school with some great players but they had no life outside of that instrument. Do yourself a favor and strive to be better each time you pick up the trumpet but do not let it consume you. In today's world kids are pushed and rushed along at anything they excel at but are burned out before they reach their full potential. Don't worry so much about where you are, as where you want to be and how to get there without beating yourself up.

2. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    At 16, I was a so-so player in a very good high school band, playing 3rd part, or maybe last 2nd by then. My tone was weak, I didn't have much range (G on top of the staff was a reach), but I could double tongue pretty well. I didn't play anywhere outside school, and had a pretty low confidence level. I had fun, though, and have continued to improve over the last 40 years...;-)

3. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    I was the greatest player in the world at age sixteen! Unfortunately, I was not accepted/appreciated by the rest of the world back then, and now that the world has moved on I can't recapture that old magic.

I can sight-read, transpose,show up on time with a proper attitude and play with good sound, intonation and style now. Funny how we go downhill with age.....

4. RGood

RGood Piano User

Apr 20, 2008
    Deep in the heart of TX
    When I was sixteen, they were still inventing the trumpet......

Played in concert band, marching band, jazz band, pit band, brass ensembles - listened to these funny shaped things called records......and just enjoyed it all as well as practised.

5. Bachstul

Bachstul Mezzo Forte User

Jan 25, 2009
    I was so good, I couldn't play a silver trumpet, because the plating always melted off.

6. Bear

Bear Forte User

Apr 30, 2004
    USA
    HA... bunch of trumpet players think they're hot stuff huh?

Well, when I was 16, I taught the ArchAngel Gabriel how to play!!! HA.

BTW, I can higher than you... I could hit a sept-deca-quad-trip-dubba C when I was still in diapers!

Lol... Ok, sorry, I just got back from a reading session and I had a blast o I'm in a good mood! This post was all meant in jest... if you'll please refer back to the TM rules and regs....

Sincerely,
    Tim "Bear"!

7. Wlfgng

Wlfgng Piano User

Aug 15, 2008
    Canada
    I could play the all the notes and rythems with no problem, but I didn't play with musicality. That kept me out of first chair and in second, but I was OK with that because I could make kissy faces and stare at a flute player named Pam which I couldn't do from first chair.

I learned about playing music rather than just playing notes later in life.

8. oldlou

oldlou Forte User

Aug 28, 2005
    Grand Rapids, Mi.
    At 16 I was considered to be a prodigy. I played first chair in my high school band,( concert and marching ), spent a summer at Interlochen on scholarship, and did a lot of work, playing in local evangelical churches. I was good.

Now, at age 73 I am having the beginnings of a problem. I am trying to determine if it is failing eyesight, a lowering of my mental abilities, or, just plain starting to lose it. My sight reading of fast scales with multiple accidentals is horrible. I just can't seem to respond to what I see on the chart by using proper fingering, tongueing and phrasing. After a slow read through in private practice my playing is back to being fine. I know that much of this succes is related to muscle memory. I want it to just happen as I first see it like it did in my youth!

My question for those of you that are my advanced age, or near to it. I know that aging effects different people in differing ways. Are any of you elderly players experiencing the same, or similar problems that I am?

To offset this problem, I have been sight reading any and all of the difficult music I can lay my hands on. Arbans, Clark, Schlosberg, Claudio Gnacchi's tutorial, and everything that is being played by our local symphony orchestra. What else can I do to gain back that mental dexterity that I once excelled at?

OLDLOU>>

9. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Lou,
    patterns are what our brains are about. They are identical regardless if we play quickly or slowly. Practicing slowly stores the patterns in a more perfect way, making them easier to recall in the desired slendor.

Practice slowly!

10. oldlou

oldlou Forte User

Aug 28, 2005
    Grand Rapids, Mi.
    Thanks for your response, Robin. My current complaint is that in my youth I could sight read any new chart accurately. Now, when I am handed a new chart, I fumble through it like a first year student, making more than a few mistakes. This is, at least to me, an embarassment. The more quick tempo stuff, with multiple ascending or descending runs with many accidentals that I am looking at, the more mistakes that I make. I am curious if some of the other ultra senior citizen trumpeters here have experienced this same problem, and, if so how did they cure this problem?

OLDLOU>>