How good were you

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by trmpt_plyr, Jul 16, 2009.

1. Sparks

Sparks New Friend

Jan 2, 2009
    Rochester, MN
    At 16 everyone is different, everyone is a study of one? Age shouldn't be a determinant or benchmark of where you should be at, that's what practice is for? The way we practice, should be more of a determinant. When I was 16, I had just finished with a year of all-state band and was putting in an hour of day of practice with 2 hours of playing had the acceptable double/triple tonguing playable range up to high D, and was playing music like Haydn, Hummel, Artunian trumpet concertos. Everyone is different; that same year I met a very accomplished trumpet player who was applying to Juilliard.

2. Trumpetman67

Trumpetman67 Piano User

Apr 11, 2009
    USA
    Well, I don't know if this counts or not, but I'm 15 1/2 now. Just like what your first response, but I know somewhat how to double tongue and triple tongue. Still learning...

3. duanemassey

duanemassey Piano User

Jul 14, 2009
    Houston
    At 16 I had been playing professionally for 2 years. My dad was a "society jazz" bass player and I grew up reading and playing jazz. My technical training and legit chops were very shaky, but my sight-reading, ear-training, and sense of music served me well for a long time. When I reached college I realized that I could not keep up with the players that had been studying the instrument for 8+ years when it came to classical or technical issues. I also realized that I loved to play, but hated to practice, not to mention the bad habits I picked up from being mostly self-taught.

Everyone's circumstances are different. If you enjoy playing, and have the self-discipline to practice you are ahead of the crowd.

4. hubnub

hubnub Piano User

May 4, 2007
    Cleveland, OH

5. Trumpetman67

Trumpetman67 Piano User

Apr 11, 2009
    USA
    :sorry:

6. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006