How great a pair of ears do you need to be a professional?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by _TrumpeT_, Feb 14, 2007.

1. _TrumpeT_

_TrumpeT_ Piano User

Apr 26, 2006
    I guess there are different aspects of "listening" like finding your sound, recognising styles, etc. But today, I want to talk about one particular aspect... solfeggio. I found a link to a great website for ear training (GNU Solfege - free ear training software | Main / GNU Solfege - Smarten your ears) while I was reading through a thread in Ed's forum. I was planning to do just some exercises on intervals and quickly realised that there was much more that I did not think of. Endless scales and the corresponding modes just to name one aspect. Does one need to really master everything in that programme (and there are probably things it did not cover...) to be a professional?

2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Security comes from "hearing" what you are going to play before you play it. I am sure that there are pros out there that don't know anything about solfeggio, modal scales and the like. They must be getting by on natural talent.
    Look at trumpet playing like a house construction project. If you build a basement for a 2 story house, and try to put 5 stories on top, it will collapse or fall over. If you build a basement for a 100 story building, and put 100 stories on top, everything fits.
    Your playing is the same way. If your basics are not strong, you will collapse or fall over. The stronger they are, the higher you can go. The beauty of trumpet playing is that you can add to the basics at any time - provided you have the time. That is why young people need to pay their dues as long as Mom and Dad are there keeping them fed, clothed and with a roof over their head. Once you have to fend for yourself, it is a lot harder to find the time.
    I think you have to look pretty hard to find a pro that mastered everything before they started working. Some things you have to learn the hard way!

3. michael shanks

michael shanks New Friend

Jan 12, 2007
    I dont really think it just the way you hear music. It also depends on your playing and making things sound musical. Basically you have to become in love with music.Dont get me wrong it does depend on how you interprete music. But you have to take it into consideration that it is you that determines what you become and hoe you want to get to be a professional Ive syill got a long way but we all start somewhere Ive been playing for 7 years now. But if you would start onthe way you hear music it helps tremendously.