how hard to go from Bb to C trumpet

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by jztrmpt01, Oct 24, 2010.

1. jztrmpt01

jztrmpt01 Pianissimo User

Nov 19, 2009
    Minerva, OH
    What are the major differences in going from Bb to C?

How is the music different and the pitch intonation?

I have found a few C trumpets but have never, even when i played alot, played one long enough to tell.

Thanks.

2. govtmodel

govtmodel Pianissimo User

Dec 26, 2004
    Rhode Island
    For me the hardest thing was to recalibrate my thinking, i.e., hearing third space C as C and not B-flat.

3. jztrmpt01

jztrmpt01 Pianissimo User

Nov 19, 2009
    Minerva, OH
    Is a C trumpet ok for jazz or covers work?

4. trumpetnick

trumpetnick Fortissimo User

Nov 16, 2005
    Vidin, Bulgaria
    I don't think so. I have never seen a jazz trumpet player using a C trumpet. I have read somewhere, the the late Miles was looking into C trumpets in order to get a lighter sound, but he has never used one in a gig. If transposing is a problem for it, learn it. Don't try to shortcut it. Usual use of C trumpet is for orchestra and classical solo work, though some may use it in studio sessions. All of that is not to say, that C trumpet is prohibited in jazz, but you will sure look like a strange bird appearing for a gig or rehearsal with a C trumpet.

5. Brass crusader

Brass crusader Mezzo Piano User

A C trumpet simply doesn't have the sound or timbre appropriate for jazz work. Some may disagree, but I personally feel that C trumpets are meant for strictly classical playing.

6. wiseone2

wiseone2 Artitst in Residence Staff Member

Nov 19, 2003
    Brooklyn,NY
    I went through a long period of not owning a Bb trumpet, I got no complaints about my performances. In my days in Philly, I once played a performance with the Philadelphia Orchestra and after the concert played lead on a C trumpet with Quincy Jones at Peps'.
    Those old cliches die hard, "The C trumpet is a lighter sound than the Bb". I don't think so!
    Wilmer

7. wiseone2

wiseone2 Artitst in Residence Staff Member

Nov 19, 2003
    Brooklyn,NY
    The trumpets in Quincy's band were Jerry Kail, Clyde Riessinger, Benny Bailey and Freddy Hubbard.......that silly man:cool:
    Wilmer

8. trumpetnick

trumpetnick Fortissimo User

Nov 16, 2005
    Vidin, Bulgaria
    Wilmer,

I am not saying that it cant be done - I never played professionally in a big band. I am just saying that the sound and intonation tendencies of a C trumpet are quite different from those of a B flat trumpet, which should mean that in reality a player will need to do more adjustments to blend well with a section of B flats. I played in ensembles where people used a B flat, a C trumpet and a piccolo (it was the Altenburg Concerto for 7 trumpets, and probably we could use a D trumpet as well) we did fine, but needs more work and attention than working with a more uniform pitched trumpet section. I guess that for a person that never or rarely played a C trumpet it will requires more work than usual. The other point I was trying to make was that owning a C trumpet is not necessarily a good solution for transposition issues. As for the Miles story - it is just a story that I read somewhere and popped in my mind when reading the OP.

9. fraserhutch

fraserhutch Mezzo Piano User

Jan 23, 2004
    Novato, CA, USA
    If a C trumpet is, as Wilmer suggests, more or less interchangeable with a Bb, and transposition is off the table, then what;'s the difference between the horns?

I find it hard to believe that there isn't an essential characteristic difference in the sound of the horns.

10. stumac

stumac Fortissimo User

Oct 19, 2008
    Flinders Vic Australia
    For the same pitch note a C trumpet will have a different harmonic structure then a Bb.

When playing in church I felt the C sat better with the pipe organ than the Bb.

Regards, Stuart.