how hard to go from Bb to C trumpet

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by jztrmpt01, Oct 24, 2010.

1. wiseone2

wiseone2 Artitst in Residence Staff Member

Nov 19, 2003
    Brooklyn,NY
  2. wiseone2

Nov 19, 2003
    Brooklyn,NY
    I love Maurice Murphy's sound. I love Herseth's sound. Is there really a universal sound for trumpets? Does the C trumpet in the hands of a master really sound all that different from a Bb played by the same player? A great sound is a great sound, on either horn, I can't tell the difference.

3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Some players have a really tough time playing a C. They have trouble with the higher pitch. Others have no issues at all. I don't think that the C trumpet is brighter, but the sound is different due to the proportion of cylindrical tubing to tapered. The modern C trumpet is actually more a member of the horn family as it is much more tapered than cylindrical.

If you have one, you just need to play it often. Staying used to it makes your performances more "predictable"!

4. bigtiny

bigtiny Mezzo Forte User

Aug 14, 2005

I've been wondering this for years. Not being an orchestral player, I had never played a C trumpet, but was interested in being able to get away from stupid transposition. So I was at Trent's shop the other day and he had a very good C trumpet that I tried.

My reaction to that little session was AARRRHHHGHGHGHH. First of all the horns are smal and smaller bore than I'm used to so it felt very stuffy, lot of back pressure; secondly the pitches were in the wrong place! =:-) After 40 years of the Bb, the C just really felt 'bad' because my ear kept telling me something was wrong!

I believe that if you can find a horn you like to play, you could probably eventually get over the pitch-sense memory problem, but at this point in life it seems like a lot of work....at least for me. Plus -- who needs another damned horn!?!?!?!?! =:-)

bigtiny

5. stumac

stumac Fortissimo User

Oct 19, 2008
    Flinders Vic Australia
    Wilmer,

Thank you for the clips, it is a work I am not familiar with, in the second is the trumpeter changing from a D or a C to a Bb for the muted section? Your comments on the D are greatly appreciated, I have just aquired a D Selmer Radial and hope to get some quality time on it.

Rowuk,

Can you give me some examples of a modern C that is more horn like, I have just done a side by side comparison between my Selmer B700 and C700 and without measuring it would appear that the C has a more shortened parallel section of tubing than proportion would dictate and the bell and leadpipe tapers a little longer, certainly not horn like proportions.

Regards, Stuart.

6. wiseone2

Nov 19, 2003
    Brooklyn,NY
    The trumpet part is in C trumpet. The player who is using the Bb trumpet is transposing.
    I was in high school when I first played this concerto. We rehearsed the work a long time. I didn't have a C trumpet when we began to work on the piece, my folks got me a C trumpet soon after the first week.
    I used the C trumpet for everything, that's how I learned to play the C. I was a student of Sigmund Hering at that time.
    Sam Krauss was my hero, he always came on stage with a number of trumpets under his arms.
    In the 50s, the Philadelphia Orchestra was the most recorded orchestra in the world. C trumpet was the instrument of choice and had been since the Saul Caston years.
    I am quite comfortable playing a C, I pave played it in every kind of situation.
    Some of the early stuff I did with Huff and Gamble in Philly was done on the C. Listen to The Intruders "Cowboys to Girls".....that's me on C trumpet:cool:

Wilmer

7. dabhand

dabhand New Friend

Apr 7, 2008
    Ramsgate Kent England
    It is a matter of getting used to the particular pitched Trumpet
    I use all my Horns playing in Military Brass and Function Bands
    As to type of Music, they have their uses in Jazz Pop Standards Country Latin Classical
    It is what type of Sound you need to portray, and what particular Range Treble Middle or Bass
    Kind regards
    Dabhand

8. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    The typical C trumpet will respond a bit differently from a Bb, and may feel more stuffy. This feel is frequently eliminated by using a mouthpiece with a more open throat and backbore.

The music is the same, but most C trumpets have more and/or different intonation problems than a good Bb trumpet. Playing a C trumpet in a section with Bb trumpets requires a close watch on intonation, as the natural intonation tendencies are in different places on the two instruments.

If you practice on C enough, going between Bb and C is no big deal. Picking up an Eb trumpet right after playing a Bb is much more of a pitch challenge...

9. bagmangood

bagmangood Forte User

I find few issues switching between Bb and C - I just practice on both horns regularly (daily). The intonation is different, but manageable. I find that to play in tune with Bb or C we need to be concentrating equally, but maybe its more work on C.

10. Buck with a Bach

Buck with a Bach Fortissimo User

Dec 29, 2009
    Canton, Ohio
    Like Dale, I find my C more stuffy feeling using the same mouthpiece on both( a Marcink. 8S, symphonic backbore). otherwise, the half step difference isn't too tough to overcome. My SIL doesn't seem to have a problem going back and forth with hers.............Buck:dontknow::oops: