how hard to go from Bb to C trumpet

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by jztrmpt01, Oct 24, 2010.

1. brassplayer

brassplayer Pianissimo User

May 6, 2009
    San Gabriel, CA
    Half-step????

Is your other horn pitched in B Natural, or am I missing something here?

2. wiseone2

wiseone2 Artitst in Residence Staff Member

Nov 19, 2003
    Brooklyn,NY
    As far as playing jazz on the C, think of how impossible it was back in the old days to get one. Jazz was born in the poorer communities, there were few if any C trumpets around. Freddie sounded great on my horn when we played duets.
    Wilmer

3. Buck with a Bach

Buck with a Bach Fortissimo User

Dec 29, 2009
    Canton, Ohio
    Ooooopppps:dontknow::lol::oops:

4. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    Wilmer, I studied with Saul Caston in the mid 60s. He said that when he was principal with Philly the section used Conn 22Bs. That was back in the late 20s to early 40s.

5. wiseone2

Nov 19, 2003
    Brooklyn,NY
    My First C was a Conn purchased from Sigmund Hering.
    This is of interest, more about early horns in Philly. Bach was the horn of choice when I started going to concerts in the 50s. I have Caston's Bach Eb/D trumpet from the 40s:cool:

Wilmer

gRawlin trumpet lessons, Mouthpieces and accesssories, Church Musicians, Trumpet Blog

6. ogauge47

ogauge47 Piano User

Dec 26, 2008
    Metro Detroit, Michigan
    I too feel like my C is somewhat stuffy compared to a Bb, especially if I pick it up after playing on a Bb, even more on a flugel

7. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    It certainly does whereas so much church music is set for C instrumentation, including the hymnals. I've especially found it so, years ago when I had access to a C, when providing accompaniment for a vocalist.

8. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Stuart,
    basically the only modern member of the trumpet family left is the trombone with more than half the bore cylindrical. Bb trumpets are about 1/3rd cylindrical and C trumpets about 1/4 - about the same proportions as a vintage cornet which is the soprano member of the horn family.

The older low F trumpets had that "regal" sound that resembles the natural trumpet more closely. That brazenness is missing in many modern instruments.

9. wiseone2

Nov 19, 2003
    Brooklyn,NY
    Dang!
    Tage just whipped out a Bb trumpet in the midst of all those C trumpets in the Mahler 7th.
    Wilmer

10. 65Strad

65Strad Pianissimo User

Aug 28, 2005
    Toms River, New Jersey
    I agree. I also find it to be to be more voice like, more of a singing sound with a chorus and organ in a wedding/church or chamber venue. I took a little time to mentally adapt but it gets easier.

I feel as if the Bb and C trumpets are different animals with their own
    characteristics. Really enjoy the C trumpet, I play it and my Bb about equally in recent years.