How high can/do you play with the flugelhorn ?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Kang-Ling, Feb 16, 2014.

1. Kang-Ling

Kang-Ling Mezzo Piano User

Oct 8, 2009
    Frigiliana
    Hola Amigos,

Yesterday I started to play with the local WIND-BAND (Banda de Música Frigiliana), just for fun.
    Rather than the trumpet, I´ll use there my “new” Adams flugel, I think.
    The two girls who play flugelhorn in the band use old rotary instruments (made in Czechoslovakia) with Bach mouthpieces, and they sound more like trumpets...

I was quiet surprised by the range : many scores go up to high C.
    I use BIG mouthpieces, Denis Wick 4FL , Flip Oaks 3 .
    They have a similar sound, but actually I use the Wick, because the rim is more like my 3C trumpet-mouthpiece.

(´till now…) I use the flugel for ballads and improvising (about two octaves : "Chet Baker-Range").
    Playing, with big mouthpieces, written music, above the staff, I find quiet difficult (improvising, of course, is something else).
    Range-Practice ? An other horn /mouthpiece ?

How high can/do you play with the flugelhorn ?
    (I think, the beautifull, dark character of the flugel is NOT present in high-playing !!!)

banda municipal de frigiliana.jpg

2. ChopsGone

ChopsGone Forte User

Jan 26, 2009
    Northern California
    You nailed it. Can: exactly as high as a trumpet or cornet in the same key. Do: stop around written G above the staff. It just sounds too much like a different instrument much past that.

3. ShaneChalke

ShaneChalke Pianissimo User

Dec 11, 2008
    Banner Elk, NC
    In addition to my regular jazz gigs, I've been doing this show this month. Playing a lot of the Mangione tunes, I find many of them go above hi C (but not a lot farther), usually up to D or E. I'm a strong lead player, but still find playing the flugel over hi C difficult to get a decent sound. My flugel, anyway (a Schilke) gets really thin up there. People love the music, though.

[​IMG]

4. Kang-Ling

Oct 8, 2009
    Frigiliana
    Yes !!! I think exactly the same ChopsGone,
    but the have higher scores in the Wind-Band (1º Flügelhorn)

5. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    I have both a silver plated Getzen Eterna four valve, and a copper belled Kanstul 1526 (4 valve) flugelhorn. I use a 3-C mouthpiece for both (Flip Oakes Wild Thing). I play up to the second A above staff (1.5 tones below double high C) with great tone response. My flugels don't sound a scream up there but rather a mellow cry. It really adds sauce to my improvisational coloring, especially on Latin tunes. I just took it up there last evening at our gig at Pittsburgh's Little Es. I find the crowd really loves when I do this as it gets instantaneous applause from all in the crowd. That doesn't happen when I play that range and above on my trumpets. I disagree with many of the above posts in saying that the Flugel doesn't get a decent sound in that range. I contend the flugel gets a unique, mellow cry kind of sound in the lead range, and I love to use it, albeit, sparingly. Too bad Dr.Mark stiffed me once again, not being in the crowd, as I would have loved for him to have published a conformational... Yep as he says reply.

6. Rapier

Rapier Forte User

Jul 18, 2011
    UK
    Playing high on a flugel is like playing bagpipes. Just because you can, doesn't mean you should. :cool:

7. Kang-Ling

Oct 8, 2009
    Frigiliana
    O.K., great, gmonady, but, I supose, you dont play written music up there.....

8. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Again, I only use this range for improvisation. I have NEVER seen written notes for the flugelhorn above high C. In fact I play the solo flugelhorn part in a big band chart called "Leo". That chart is the one that goes to high C.

Once again, the flugelhorn is not thought of, or is used by most to go into the lead range. I find that a real missed potential for the flugelhorn, and those stating it sounds bad in that range, have just not taken the time to make it work. Thinking outside of the box and using such fresh ideas is what helps to create a unique voice which I believe is the most important quality I feel can be achieved for a jazz musician. Claudio Roditi instilled the primary value of developing ones own voice and used many interesting techniques to get me on the path to developing such skills when I took lessons from him while living in New York City. This path is just one of them. I have many more paths and directions I have taken with Claudio as my guide.

9. Kang-Ling

Oct 8, 2009
    Frigiliana

10. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Well if you play on a flugelhorn that is just a bag of pipes, I can see how you can come to this conclusion. Get yourself a Kanstul, and you will learn what it means to taking the flugelhorn up to the next level.