How high can/do you play with the flugelhorn ?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Kang-Ling, Feb 16, 2014.

1. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Read my post closely... 3C Flip Oakes Wild Thing - Mouthpiece

2. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    I do agree with you in that the Bach flugelhorn mouthpieces thin out the sound I get on the flugelhorn. I would not say bad, but more like not good.

3. Rapier

Rapier Forte User

Jul 18, 2011
    UK
    I've told you enough times Doc, I'll never downgrade to your Mickey Mouse instruments. My range on the flugel is the same as on trumpets, but the highest written note I've come across for flugel was a C. I don't do jazz as I prefer music. ROFL

4. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Mickey Mouse must be one he!! of a musician. Maybe you should give him a call to take a few lessons on how not to have your flugelhorn sound like bag pipes.

5. ConnDirectorFan

ConnDirectorFan Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2010
    United States
    Not always - I enjoy the sound of my 1980s Bach 2CFL with my 1970s Conn 24A, although the previous owners of the Conn reamed out the French taper mouthpipe with a Large-Morse shank, so I bought a Bach flugel mouthpiece to compensate for the screwed-up receiver, and the results are good. I will probably upgrade to a more solid pro flugel in the future or at least get a new mouthpipe for this Conn 24A, as I like it and think a new mouthpipe would do it well.

Smaller- vs larger-bore Flugel - View topic: Trumpet Herald forum - it mentions high notes on the flugel vs. bore size and what players used it...

Even though flugel is not really intended for high notes, I played my first Double High C on the Conn 24A with the 1980s Benge 3FL that came with it used...

6. robrtx

robrtx Mezzo Forte User

May 26, 2012
    Hawaii
    Some vintage Chuck c. '76 with a nice solo starting 2:26 that tastefully ventures north of C above the staff (high Eb or F maybe).

Maybe not everyone's thing but I like it!

Chuck Mangione - Love The Feelin - YouTube

As far as mouthpieces for flugel; Mark Curry does 'em right with a wide selection of cups and rims available in all tapers......

7. ShaneChalke

ShaneChalke Pianissimo User

Dec 11, 2008
    Banner Elk, NC
    That's what I'm talking about... Chuck's heads routinely go up to D and E as well. I agree with gmonady, the crowd seems to love high flugel, but until this tribute show that I'm doing, I never thought to do it.

8. ShaneChalke

ShaneChalke Pianissimo User

Dec 11, 2008
    Banner Elk, NC
    By the way, I play a Schilke 11F4 mouthpiece. Super deep, almost like a French horn piece.

9. Rapier

Rapier Forte User

Jul 18, 2011
    UK
    If you want a different mouthpiece I'll put Warburton into the mix. Great choices available from them.

10. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    The German (or Czechoslovakian) rotary valved flugelhorns will take a trumpet mouthpiece and are used in band music like cornets. Way easier to play high notes on those.