How high can/do you play with the flugelhorn ?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Kang-Ling, Feb 16, 2014.

1. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    I haven't notice this much as a factor. My Getzen is a 0.46 and my Kanstul a 0.410 bore. They both give me nearly identical response when combined with the right mouthpiece. Also in this TH link the bore of the mouthpiece with the bore of the leadpipe of the flugel is discussed. I believe this would be more of the factor in getting a full versus thin sound.

Has anyone else noticed the price of the Kanstul 1526 has increased since they have been using this guy's picture? Kanstul.com ...or is it just me? No wait... it IS me!!!

2. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Another very good point. I must say, it is more work for me to play in the lead range on the deep cup of the Flip Oakes, than using a standard trumpet style cup.

3. Rapier

Rapier Forte User

Jul 18, 2011
    UK
    Glad they cut the picture off before getting to the Baggy Trousers. But then they'd need a wide angled lens to fit them in.

4. Lionelsax

Lionelsax Mezzo Piano User

May 8, 2013
    The music of Herb Albert ? I think it's Herb Alpert.
    Have I got a cousin who is a great jazz composer ?

5. ConnDirectorFan

ConnDirectorFan Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2010
    United States
    I linked the article mostly because it mentions Chuck Mangione Syndrome where the flugel sound gets flatter and thinner in the upper registers "in contrast" to Freddie Hubbard's "fat sound up there"...

6. ShaneChalke

ShaneChalke Pianissimo User

Dec 11, 2008
    Banner Elk, NC
    Yup... not my poster -- I just play the horn!

7. BigDub

BigDub Fortissimo User

Dec 19, 2009
    Hillsborough, NJ
    It has been reported that a Flugelhorn can be played in Mexico city. So think on that a minute.

8. duanemassey

duanemassey Piano User

Jul 14, 2009
    Houston
    Interesting. I play almost no classical music, mostly jazz, and I am not a particularly high-range trumpeter ( decent G, nothing above that), but my range on flugel is fairly solid up to E or F# without getting overly thin.
    I am using a Bach 7C FL on a Lawler and am much happier with that combination than the deeper mpcs that came with the horn, but my old flugel (Coesnon) also came with a shallow mpc that I used for 25 years before it was stolen. At some point in time I will look at a GR for the flugel, but I'm happy with what I currently have.
    One size doesn't fit all.

9. J. Jericho

J. Jericho Fortissimo User

Mar 16, 2011
    Looks like I'll have to hop on my high horse in order to...

...beat dead horse #1: Some people get horrible sounds out of Bach flugelhorn mouthpieces, while others get great sounds out of same. It's a matter of matching embouchure, mouthpiece, and horn.

AND

...beat dead horse #2: Jazz is music. To some, it's music of the highest order. To others, it's of the lowest. However, the more one actually knows about Jazz, the greater the likelihood of appreciating and even enjoying it.

Now I'll get off my high horse and go back to practicing. Thanks for the break.

10. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Spanish Bull perhaps?