How high can/do you play with the flugelhorn ?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Kang-Ling, Feb 16, 2014.

1. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I play on a Stork 1FLSy (17.00mm). I can play a high E and only go up there on improve. G on the stave, maaaaybe an A, is as high as I've seen written.

2. Kang-Ling

Kang-Ling Mezzo Piano User

Oct 8, 2009
    Frigiliana
    ...just found an old Bach 3C FL mouthpiece,
    and IT IS easier to play above the staff than with the big Wick (bore is smaller, Cup is shallower),
    but it sounds (almost) more Cornet-like

and here comes an other funny Flügelhorn-Question:
    the famous TAPER-QUESTION ! :

- the Bach M.P.-Shaft enters completelly (!) in my Adams-Receiver,
    but it works.......................................................................

3. BigDub

BigDub Fortissimo User

Dec 19, 2009
    Hillsborough, NJ
    Very good. I was aiming more at the 10,000 ft elevation of Mexico City, but you know that.....

4. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    I THINK that A transposed to a trombone is a Bb ---- and I can play that on a trombone clearly --- although, I wouldn't compare the trom to either the flugle or bagpipes --- the idea is, YES -- it does, or can sound OK, in that range on any instrument (((although, my flugel doesn't work in that range -- even after I cleaned it, the Flugle I have is broken, and only goes to the high C level))) ROFL ROFL ROFL

5. Dr.Mark

Dr.Mark Mezzo Forte User

Apr 5, 2011
    Hi K-L,
    My range is the same on Bb and Flugel
    Dr.Mark

6. shooter

shooter Piano User

Jan 12, 2007
    VA
    I use an extremely deep mouthpiece on my flugel which makes it harder to play in the high register. I'm willing to sacrifice the dubba's for my extra velvety tone though.

7. oljackboy

oljackboy Pianissimo User

Feb 26, 2009
    Falls Church, Virginia
    It's all a matter of personal taste, but I almost always like flugelhorn much better in the middle register. I know lead players who can (and sometimes do) play flugelhorns up to G above high C. Trouble is, they almost invariably do not have the lush,
    wet soumd that makes the flugelhorn what I believe it is supposed to be. By the way, I've heard Chuck Mangione live twice, and there are other guys I would MUCH rather listen to on flugelhorn. Like Roy Hargrove. Or Til Bronner.

8. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    In german/czech/dutch brass bands, the flugelhorn actually plays parts similar to the strings or woodwinds from other ensembles. High notes are very common

Please do not make the mistake of assuming that the flugel was "designed" for ballads. It has a 100 year brass band history before that. Just because many wannabe jazz players only attribute "smokey" to the sound, does not mean that everyone of us should follow suit. I use my flugelhorns up to F above high C (4th space above the staff).

My personal belief is that every player develops his own voice. Just like with singing there are sopranos, mezzos, altos, dramatic tenors, lyric tenors, Heldentenors, baritones and basses in the trumpet world.

My second personal belief is that if you have to ask the question, you are not ready for the answer yet. Those that have discovered the upper register on the flugel, know what to do with it. Those without an upper register simply frustrate themselves knowing that they are "missing" something........

Just play everything that you can regardless of the horn. The expressive side will appear. I even play oboe concertos with the flugel. It adds something VERY special and unique.

gmonady likes this.
  9. Kang-Ling

Kang-Ling Mezzo Piano User

Oct 8, 2009
    Frigiliana
    you are right ROWUK

but in the brass-band they use shallow mouthpieces,
    and they don´t sound nice (to me) for ballads

two worlds .....

I just got a big Denis Wick Cornet mouthpiece #4, and a cheap Indian pocket-cornet sounds -for the first time- really beautiful with this piece.....

10. rinconcito

rinconcito Pianissimo User

Nov 5, 2013
    Anda, otro malagueño!! ;)

Jeje