How high can/do you play with the flugelhorn ?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Kang-Ling, Feb 16, 2014.

1. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    King-Ling, not sure what you had to say regarding Markus Breuss, but in my experience he is a top notched musician. I love the way he thinks outside of the box. He and I have communicated extensively through initial contacts established here on TM. How I hope to meet (and play) with him some day.

By he way, tomorrow evening, I will be getting the chance to meet with Tim Hagans. I am so excited about his upcoming performance at Gilly's, the club that he has said, help launch his career.

2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I would say that the military transcriptions of these great works for brass band are some of the finest arrangement jobs ever performed! They are still played today and thus have survived the test of time! Yes, they knew and very much understood the flügelhorn!

3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Many of these arrangements were written before the first world war!

4. Lionelsax

Lionelsax Mezzo Piano User

May 8, 2013
    Maybe by Philip Sousa... I don't know.

5. Kang-Ling

Kang-Ling Mezzo Piano User

Oct 8, 2009
    Frigiliana
    ....very nice video, Lionelsax: great playing.... and flugels blend so well............nice

6. Kang-Ling

Kang-Ling Mezzo Piano User

Oct 8, 2009
    Frigiliana
    ...yeah, it´s possible.......I like brass bands, but I don´t know much about them (specially german brass bands I hadn´t the chance to hear often)
    it´s noteworthy to state, that there are many different schools : a german brass band is not like an american one, and a british (the worlds protype ?) is very different from an indian brass band.
    I had the pleasure to record the Shyam-Brass-Band in Jabalpur (madhya pradesh - India) and they play -practically always- louder than ten punk-bands toghether (hard to record them..)

From the 1974 album The Philosophy of the Fluegelhorn.
    Released by Japo Records, Germany.

Herbert Joos: fluegelhorn, bass, vibes

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/C_Z2VG-XCoE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

7. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio