How high notes work.

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by keigoh, May 29, 2013.

1. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    Practice the upper range at low volume levels to learn the proper embouchure to produce them and to get the intervals in your head. When you get that down, then blow like #&!! to get the volume where you want it...:cool:

2. graysono

graysono Mezzo Forte User

Jan 22, 2007
    Hyde Park, Utah
    I keep going back to an anecdote about Maynard F telling his lead player after a great night that he felt like he could drive a truck through the aperture in his embouchure.

3. gzent

gzent Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2003
    Rochester, MN
    The lip tissue gets tighter and the air flows faster.

Anything more specific than that is just assumption, guessing, or invention for discussion's sake.

Oh, and anyone that claims they can play a DHC with any volume and not increase mouthpiece pressure
    is full of bovine excrement, IMO.

Last edited: May 30, 2013
  4. motteatoj

motteatoj Mezzo Forte User

Feb 23, 2013
    Tuckahoe, NY
    I'm an adult new learner, so high notes for me are low notes for all you folks, but i can tell you already, that i agree with the first few posts that gave absolutely no 'tips' on how to get the next highest note. As an engineer i have read dozens of books and zillions (or so) websites on trumpet playing and how to do this or that.

Of course, for me i just want to be able to play enough notes to play most music, so the C above the staff is my current 'long-term' goal.

Each note i 'conquer' takes nothing more than time, practice, and....trying to play that note. It starts off sounding horrible, then a bit less, then it actually sounds like the note....ONCE....then i can hit it a few times, and then as I start to try the next higher note, it starts to become just another note.

NOTHING i have read, tips, visualizations, put your lips this way or that way, etc ends up meaning anything.

Take the zen approach....be the note, hear the note, try playing the note....repeat....A WHOLE LOT.

Everything else is us human's trying to explain everything.
    For years I asked my grandmother how to make sauce, she just said "I don't know, you just do it".....still applies here, IMVHO.

5. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Too much pressure? There's an app for that! Long tones, starting with g in the staff. As you are playing that, start pulling the horn away from your face, reducing pressure until it sounds really, really bad and you can barely hold the note. Then, without adding pressure, make it sound "better." It won't sound normal, just better. I'll give you no more information than that this exercise builds chops that have been allowed to remain weak because of pressure.

6. keigoh

keigoh Pianissimo User

Oct 24, 2012
    Tokyo
    Guys, I believe Rowuk has some good information about playing high notes

7. JNINWI

JNINWI Piano User

Apr 26, 2011
    Earth
    Oh, and anyone that claims they can play a DHC with any volume and not increase mouthpiece pressure
    is full of bovine excrement, IMO.[/QUOTE]

This statement is a tad mis-leading to the inexperienced as it gives the pretense of a LOT of additional pressure to achieve the note, when actually the difference in pressure from an in-the-staff C to a Dbl is minor, as in just enough to maintain a seal. Ask the pros that did it wrong for years and are now fighting scaring from extreme pressure. I’m not disagreeing with you, yes pressure increases as air speeds up, just trying to quantify pressure as minor changes and not disconnecting the pinky ring from the lead pipe from muscle pressure…

tobylou8 likes this.
  8. gzent

gzent Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2003
    Rochester, MN
    True. But you, as you point out, you must increase the pressure or the increased airflow will simply
    "blow out" the sides. But I understand why so many "teachers" nag students about not using pressure,
    because you can really bruise your lip easily.

Btw, VG's advice about playing notes with "zero pressure" is excellent. I picked that up after seeing Nick D.
    demo it in one of his wonderful videos. It really does improve a person's playing if you can play a chromatic
    scale with zero pressure and not using you valves. Of course there will be lots of buzzing, but you will get
    a much more "proper" lip setting, IMO.

Greg

9. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Truly, we can't say "zero" pressure because we do require sufficient to make a seal between the mouthpiece and the player's lips and that is the same for high, low, and all the notes in between. The culprit is the left elbow excessive pressure. Ha! If not otherwise, I paid too much for my dentures to apply sufficient elbow pressure as may break them, nor otherwise I've no appetite for a mouthpiece.

10. JNINWI

JNINWI Piano User

Apr 26, 2011
    Earth
    I do too !! That was Roger Ingram that Maynard made that statement to. That's a huge statement when it comes to proper form and has always stuck with me.