how im know if the Mouthpiece Appropriate for me?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by lior, Mar 5, 2013.

1. lior

lior New Friend

Oct 23, 2012
    hi :)

in the past ( maybe 3-4 Month ago) im change my Mouthpiece the Bach c7

and im start play On Yamaha 16C 4-Gp ( the Mouthpiec of Yamaha Xeno)

My question is if the size of Mouthpiec Influencing The quality of sound or Performance ( Because I personally I did not notice)

its ok change the size of Mouthpiece?

2. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    None of us on TM can give you a qualifying answer without seeing and listening to you play each mouthpiece, and too none can even tell you such is right or wrong ... FOR YOU.

That said, if the mouthpiece is comfortable for you and you like it ... that is the answer.

When your ear develops well enough to discern the nuance of variations in intonation, you will find that mouthpieces do have an influence on your sound and to particular instruments.

3. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    I once told John Stork that I was looking for a mouthpiece that would allow me to sound like Jon Faddis playing lead, Maurice Andre on piccolo and Adolph Herseth in the orchestra, while blowing into it like Herb Alpert. Oh yeah, I wanted endurance too. He had a nice chuckle.

Point is, most all mouthpieces are a compromise involving things like range, sound quantity/quality, intonation and endurance. Both the Yamaha 16C4 and the Bach 7C are professional mouthpieces, with the Bach being slightly more stylistically versatile.

4. keigoh

keigoh Pianissimo User

Oct 24, 2012
    Tokyo
    i guess the best way to choose a good mouthpiece is to actually go to a store that sells them and try each of them out, watching out for tonality, pitch, tone, etc.
    But I guess once you find a good mouthpiece, you should stick with it. Otherwise, it's a waste of money and time (mouthpieces cost a lot ROFL ROFL ROFL)

5. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    I am of the belief that it is the backbore that has more effect on tonality than the rim or cup. Try different brands with different backbores to see which best resonates with the lead pipe of your horn.

6. Sharvey

Sharvey Pianissimo User

Dec 25, 2012
    Australia
    For me regular practice is what I need to get the tone I want not a different mouthpiece.

7. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Here's a link to the above mentioned John Stork. It has a lot of info in there regarding mpc selection. New Page 1

There is an old saying, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it"! Many players play the same mpc their entire lives without any problems. So many factors influence how you sound each time you pickup the horn. Impossible to give credible advice over a forum on mpc selection. You should sit down and talk with your teacher at length about a mpc change.

8. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    True story, but the right backbore to the mouthpiece will advertise that tone to the rest of the world.

9. Branson

Branson Piano User

Jan 16, 2011
  10. graysono

graysono Mezzo Forte User

Jan 22, 2007
    Hyde Park, Utah
    This is such a difficult area to give good advice in, and I note, that the preceding posters are all very careful. Wisely so. In my limited experience I note that one cannot really find out about a mpc until one gives it a really good chance. For some, that may be a few minutes. For me, more like a few months. Maybe even a few years.