How important is it to be able to play high?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Hey_Pauly, Jun 21, 2012.

1. Pete Anderson

Pete Anderson Pianissimo User

Feb 27, 2008
    Having good command of the upper register is VERY important. To say otherwise is to be wrong.

Yes, 95% of what you will see is below high C. Yes, the middle register is more important and is probably what you should spend most of your time on. But you need to be able to at least play what's written on the page. That 5% has some pretty important things in it.

Also, if your range cuts off at ~high B/C/D, you likely have other issues with your playing that need to be addressed.

That said, your health comes first obviously... If something in your chest hurts when you play high notes, you should probably see a doctor...

2. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    hey pauly --- and when you pick the horn back up -- after you resolve the issue of "being afraid" ---- don't concern yourself with playing higher notes -- like everyone else says --- be YOU.

here is a story that happened last night -- I am new to my community band (since January) --- I sit the last of the last of the 3rd trumpets. can I play higher notes? YES, can I play better sound than other? YES --- do I care?? NOT REALLY. IN my band it is about coming together as one band. For instance the lady that sits next to me in band (80+ years old) confessed before last nights concert that she couldn't hit the F on top of the staff, and she knows I can (and a few extra notes). She seemed a little concerned that OTHERS were better than her!!!!!!. So ole KT here, said, "hey don't worry about that, I will cover you on the F -- as long as YOU keep count for me during the LONG rests, and let me know a couple of measure before we come in" ---
    I help her get her music out of the folder also sometimes, as she has some arthritis coming on, and can't grab the music all the time ----- SHE IS IMPORTANT TO THE BAND --- and I let her know that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    encourage people, help them see themselves as a vital part of the group -- help one another --- AND PLAY AND BE HAPPY!!!!!!!

3. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Don't do it. Put out that joint. Dump that bottle of beer. Empty those bottles of Xanax.

Don't play high!

Last edited: Jun 24, 2012
    turtlejimmy likes this.
  4. patkins

patkins Forte User

Nov 22, 2010
    Tuscaloosa, AL.
    So true KT. It is more important to be part of something bigger than our own egos. It is a team effort, to encourage one another.
    I believe if a player practices, more and more each time. they can only get better and higher range will come with that.

5. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    How important is it NOT to play high?

Know your audience and ensemble well. If it is a subdued crowd, expecting a certaince performance standard, playing high may offend. Playing high is like your black belt in Karate. Rarely will you need it to take on the audience, but in those less frequent times you find it useful... well it's good to have this range under your belt... black or any other color.

kingtrumpet likes this.
  6. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    ??? The 'B' is not even close to the "P" on the keyboard! Could you please inebriate on what you meant kind sir? :bravo::bravo:

7. BigDub

BigDub Fortissimo User

Dec 19, 2009
    Hillsborough, NJ
    Let's not get into my lane here, Toby, I think I have already seen that and it will be duly noted when we have our review meeting later this week...There will be 795 other errors we need to discuss as well, so don't get your foot in that door please.........:roll:

8. Comeback

Comeback Forte User

Jun 22, 2011
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Now, that's funny! But nobody is going to dumb my bottle of beer!!:lol:

9. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Well, as you have so eloquently said in the past, his grammar and spelling are so bad, it's a full time job. With the G-man/KT posts lighting things up again it's hard to catch them all ( I counted 813!) so I thought you could use the help (and you weren't online). I meant no offense. Not trying to horn in on the action. :roll:

10. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    I think he meant DUMB. You know, like dumb-downed movies that insult the intelligence of 5 year olds (don't let me get started on that rant).

Dumbing is like lowering (intelligence or whatever). In this case, it's alcohol content .... Dumbed down enough it becomes Coors. :-?

Turtle