How important is it to be able to play high?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Hey_Pauly, Jun 21, 2012.

1. SteveRicks

SteveRicks Fortissimo User

Aug 15, 2009
    Alabama
    Turtle,

You on a rant? Could never happen. Just can't imagine it. Next you'll be saying I like Olds trumpets. :)

turtlejimmy likes this.
  2. Al Innella

Al Innella Forte User

Aug 9, 2007
    Levittown , NY
    Playing high(above the staff) is no more important than being able to double or triple tongue.Like learning multiple tonguing,high range is also a learned technique.If done correctly there should be no strain to your body. It's all part of playing the trumpet,you will be excluding a lot of trumpet literature if you can't play comfortably to at least a Eb above the staff.

3. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    let's at least be realistic about this!!! -- 795 is not even close -- and I personally think you dropped the zero, just to make GM feel better about his atrocious grammer and spelling. Yes - 7950 is more like it, and for the record GM -- the Aussies still love you .. ROFL ROFL ROFL

4. Chuck Cox

Chuck Cox Forte User

Oct 3, 2008
    Cary NC
    I see Miles on your autograph thingy. The Miles Davis stamp came out this past June 12 and available at the post office for $7 a sheet. I bought 2 sheets. Now.....Chet Baker was missing parts of his teeth...then the whole tooth...then dentures. He always played low and beautifully. Listen to My Funny Valentine. You'll have plenty of fun playing low.

5. Local 357

Local 357 Banned

Jul 1, 2011
    It really depends upon what you want to do as a musician. Often we get separated into two groups: Lead player and the guy who plays the jazz book. Occasionally each will do both.

My image of a solid lead player isn't so much a cat who has a Double C. Maybe not even a High G either. But he does come through with a fortissimo High D whenever the chart calls for it. And at good volume too. This ability is fairly rare actually. At least among those who regularly post on this forum. Though you would think from what we read daily that everyone here had a Double C lol...

The jazz cat too might be able to blow not much higher than the D either. Nor ever leave the staff much either. You can blow a good 32 bar chorus or 12 bar blues and never play even a High C though it would be nice to own that note.

An interesting example of R & B funk solo is here at 00:30 of "Papa Was A Rolling Stone": The Temptations - Papa Was A Rolling Stone - YouTube

Never even goes above a High C. By the way although the horn man seems to be playing an ad lib solo (and it probably was improvised originally) most live versions of the solo play it as transcribed.

A famous big band chart requiring no more than the High F is "Final Analysis" by Don Ellis here: Don Ellis "Final Analysis" 1970 - YouTube Glenn Stuart on lead (I think). The whole chart generally doesn't even go much above the first ledger line B Flat but with a couple sustained High F's and several others accented at good volume.

You'll find plenty of big band charts with not much above High D. When the F's and D's do occur you can simply take it down to the nearest note of the chord below (ear training!) with no major point of the arrangers intent being lost on the audience. You might not win many serious Las Vegas or New York City show gigs with range like that but those gigs are few and far between anyway. These usually long since locked up with the "old boy" network. ie the cats playing those shows twenty years ago are the same ones doing them today...

However you must play a big band lead trumpet chart with BIGNESS in tone. Otherwise the band will fall flat. better to have a solid lead trumpet and a mediocre drummer than vice versa.

I think that the real mistake that many aspiring lead trumpet players make is that they either give up because they don't have Double C's or shy away from gigging for the same reason. This damages not only the trumpet player but the audience who really NEEDS and is TURNED ON by good brass music.

We have a job to do at reaching out to the general listening public. Please do not let your limited range (either real or imagined) prevent you from delivering on that contract.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2012
  6. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    I was standing upside down when I typed the P?:dontknow:

7. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    Did you spill your drink???

Turtle

8. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    Absolutely. Playing high is just one of many skills, like double tonguing. Let's not make playing high more important than it should be.

Mike

9. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    upside down and backwards!!!!!!!!!! ROFL ROFL ROFL

you see - OP there is more to life than just playing high notes --- you've got to live, and have some humor (humour), and enjoy wherever you are in your trumpet playing. don't get me wrong -- we as trumpet players should always be looking to improve ---- but (at the moment) concentrate on playing and being happy at your level. share that with others!!!!

10. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    If I was in the position to typing upside down, obviously,I had totally consumed my drink(s). It's this simple:

I NEVER let the US Flag touch the ground; I NEVER spill a drink... We are talking sacred concepts here.