How important is it to be able to play high?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Hey_Pauly, Jun 21, 2012.

1. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    Well done, Dr. Jazz (my vote for your Superhero name). :thumbsup:

Turtle

2. gzent

gzent Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2003
    Rochester, MN
    To the OP:

The ability to play high is really related to how high your goals are (no pun intended).

If you only aspire to play music written for amateurs then you will probably be OK with a range up to a G.

However, if you want to attempt to play serious / professional level music you will find many frequent
    opportunities to use a range up to at least a high D or E. You will need to be able to play those notes well
    and without 'fracking'.

If you desire to be a commercial player, or a lead trumpet in a big band or rock band, the parts will often require
    a high G with occasionally some charts approaching dbl high C.

It really comes down to what your goals are and how hard you are willing to work.
    If you are in average health you can achieve a solid high range with the proper technique and dedication.

Given a few thousand hours of practice and the proper instruction a professional skill set is
    certainly attainable.

Greg

3. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    "Piece of Cake" with a piccolo trumpet ... the right tool for the job requirement.

I've not seen a big band original score calling for a double high C on normal Bb trumpet, but I won't say that hard rock and metallic rock doesn't, or that improvisors don't rip up there.

4. Dave Hughes

Dave Hughes Mezzo Forte User

Oct 19, 2010
    Rochester, NY
    I've seen a couple double Bb's, but no double C's.

5. bamajazzlady

bamajazzlady Mezzo Forte User

May 16, 2011
    As a beginner both high C's and DHC's mean nothing to me at the moment but as someone who would like to be semi pro they will one day matter 'cause I don't want to be a below average to average musician and with trumpet I want to be able to play beautifully everything I can get my hands on.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2012
  6. gzent

gzent Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2003
    Rochester, MN
    I'll take a look through my big band's lead book next time it's in my possession and see what I can find.

I'm pretty sure MF's MacArthur Park ends on a double high B.

Also, some Gordon Goodwin charts get way up there too...

Greg

7. nieuwguyski

nieuwguyski Forte User

Aug 9, 2004
    Santa Cruz County, CA
    I'm a small-pond semi pro. I don't have a "dubba C." I've never needed one, and I'm not too worried about needing one in the future. The world needs more trumpet players who can play a simple melody beautifully and fewer knuckleheads who squeak out dubba C's for their youtube clips.

tobylou8 likes this.
  8. JNINWI

JNINWI Piano User

Apr 26, 2011
    Earth
    How important is it to be able to play high. Not important at all if your not looking to play the paying jobs. But I don’t remember one time in my life where the guy with the strongest chops didn’t get the job, period. My experience is that the paying jobs are always the most exciting, in front of large crowds and challenging. I look at it this way, I want to play, a LOT, and their aren’t as many places out there for a horn player as lets say a guitar player, or bass player. So that means I need strong chops ( “strong chops meaning everything, reading, soloing, upper range, etc…) if I am going to fulfill my goal as a trumpet player. Yes most times overall rounded playing abilities has gotten me in the door, but range will cement the job in place. When the tough playing gigs come around all of a sudden other players who are dying to play a show, are “Busy” and can’t do it, so who gets the call…… This has been my experience with range. Hope this helps.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2012
  9. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    Aussies stand upside down all the time. They insist on misspelling things like flavour, behavior, and practise. As bad as the Brits - misspelling is institutionalised (another example) there, even though most of them stand right side up.

Anyway, if THEY can get away with it, Dr. O (not the famous author - E. L Doctorow) should be excused. He is, after all, a doctor.

I DO take exception to the doctrine (as in is the doctor in?) of editorial exclusivity, which flies in the face (don't you hate those?) of the TM user agreement which clearly states that anyone with a bird avatar has editorial privileges. My attorney Bernie bought a tweed law suit just to protect my rights in this matter. You fellas stand co-wrecked-ed.

10. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    it's a plane, it's a bird -- no it's SUPER LEOTARD-O-HI-O!!!!! ROFL ROFL ROFL

after all -- GM can play the HIGH O, upside down!!! ROFL ROFL ROFL