How important is it to be able to play high?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Hey_Pauly, Jun 21, 2012.

1. patkins

patkins Forte User

Nov 22, 2010
    Tuscaloosa, AL.
    Good correction Grammar Doc BigDub!

2. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    GM -- I will send you my CD late summer, or early fall --- I'm catching up with you!!!!!!!!!! ROFL ROFL ROFL

you see OP -- high notes -- they are as important as the emphasis that any individual puts on them ---- like me, I am in competition with myself, for some UNKNOWN pursuit of a solid double C (like GM here, it is exhilarating and crowd pleasing) EVERYONE loves high notes. A SIDE NOTE here --- a few years ago on my comeback, I didn't have much above the high C (although I played that in a 2 song fundraising event) -- but the FUNNY thing was, I was (at that time) fascinated with low notes, and pedal tones (those below the low F#) --- so I played, Mary had a little lamb, or some other simple song in Pedal tones.

THE COMMENTS ON MY PLAYING FROM MANY PEOPLE IN THE AUDIENCE -- were like this.... "Hey, I have heard high notes like that, but I never heard anyone play that low on a trumpet and that was AWESOME. "hey, those low notes were fantastic, I never knew the trumpet could sound like that"

ANYWAYS --- peoples perception was that a simple high C -- WAS A HIGH NOTE --- and YET, the low notes below what is normally played -- CAPTURED THEIR ATTENTION. GO FIGURE!!!! ((( EVEN the following year, I played theme song from Rocky -- gonnay fly now, an took it an octave up to the E above high C -- and wouldn't you know it ---- the crowd afterwards said, "I was looking for those low notes" ------

3. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    How can any one just listen to a little Salsa?:dontknow: That's like trying to eat only one potato chip! But your point is well taken, now pass me the bag of chips and while I season it with plenty of Salsa!

4. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Looking forward to it KT. No that would make you ahead of me!

5. Hey_Pauly

Hey_Pauly New Friend

Dec 17, 2010
    I have been doing some reading and I think that the problems with my trumpet playing have been caused by me breathing incorrectly. Instead of breathing from my diaphragm with a nice relaxed breath I have been breathing from my chest with a forced breath, ultimately causing myself discomfort and frustration.

6. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    it is great to discover these things ---- isn't it????

7. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    A long time ago I use to do push ups, inhaling as I pushed up and exhaling as I went down. Now actually, the instructor counted, 1=up, 2=down. As he counted faster, of course we all went up and down faster, but the faster he went the shorter the breath we took. Well, now I like to use a wind-up swinging metronome to practice this ... the ideal being to breath with about the same depth and ease breathing fast as I do when slow.

We talk about breathing from the abdomen or diaphragm, well put a hand on your abdomen as you breathe and you'll feel very little movement. Too, it's my take that the diaphragm is nothing more than a flexible divider that keeps your upper organs separate from your lower ones, but yes as you inflate your lungs this diaphragm pushes lower and when you exhale it rises. It's not a medically recognized muscle that your brain can tell to push and shove. As we grew our lungs enlarged proportional to the rest of us, but with exercise and proper breathing we can can expand this somewhat ... yet still when it comes to playing a wind instrument it compares to the adage of, "It's not so much what you have, as how you use it."

8. Dave Hughes

Dave Hughes Mezzo Forte User

Oct 19, 2010
    Rochester, NY
    OK, here's the rub...I had a double c breakthrough the other day- where I was able to play it with a relaxed posture, down on the tone. Does that tell you I'm a hypocrite?

9. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    no -- but when you get to that point where it is consistent everyday, and always relaxed, and you can add dynamics in there (pp,mf, as well as FF) ---- then you might be a hypocrite!!!! ROFL ROFL ROFL
    DHC relaxed ---- that is great!!! and less filling ROFL ROFL ROFL