"How it's made" Trumpet segment

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by gglassmeyer, Jan 7, 2008.

1. gglassmeyer

gglassmeyer Piano User

Apr 28, 2006
    Cincinnati, OH
    On "The Learning Channel" program "How it's Made" they had a segment on how a trumpet is made. They didn't specify what company they were visiting though, but at the end they had a guy play testing a horn and it looked like the Getzen logo behind him.

How it's Made is a neat show and actually keeps my kid's interest off of Hannah Montana for a short while (I have 3 daughters so obviously I see a lot of Hannah). Actually, Hannah Montana is a fairly funny show, so I can't give them too much grief.

2. brem

brem Mezzo Forte User

Sep 13, 2007
    Quebec City, QC, Canada
  3. omelet

omelet Pianissimo User

Oct 13, 2007
    charleston, sc
    I very much enjoy that show, but when it comes to anything but the most simple products it skips over alot. It is understandable with a half hour show in the interest of covering 3 different items.

For instance, the trumpet one you refer to only went into the manufacturing process of making the bell, not any of the rest of it really. Perhaps Getzen didn't want to reveal their secret formula? ;)

4. pbk917

pbk917 New Friend

Oct 11, 2007
    York, PA
    John Ratzenberger (sp?) hosts a show called Made In America, I'm not sure which chanel it's on. Within the last two years, he filmed a show at the Bach plant and showed how they made Strad. trumpets. It was very interesting.

5. Brett Getzen

Brett Getzen Pianissimo User

Sep 19, 2006
    Elkhorn, WI
    Actually, we wanted them to show more. They came in for one day of filming and spent 6 hours in the bell department alone. We kept telling them to move on because they were missing stuff. We only work ten hour days and weren't about to ask our people to stay late just for a tv show. Unfortunately, because of their time spent in bell the segment was more like this is how you make a trumpet bell... oh and all this other stuff gets thrown on to make a trumpet. So it goes.

Brett Getzen

6. larry tscharner

larry tscharner Forte User

Apr 30, 2010
    dubuque iowa
    Even though it was poorly put together, I still watch it when I see it on. Nothing compares to a real factory tour. Every one at Getzen are pushing the envelope of hospitality and I had a very memorable experience visiting with the craftsmen and women at Getzen. Thanks Brett and Mary. Best wishes.

7. SteveB

SteveB Mezzo Piano User

Nov 15, 2008
    Prescott Valley, AZ
    The "How It's Made" program that includes the trumpet segment airs again this week on the Science Channel tomorrow (Tuesday) evening and 2:30am (EST) Wednesday morning.

8. althepal12

althepal12 New Friend

Aug 7, 2011
    I just visite the getzen factory today. The segment was shot there how ever some of the trumpet pieces made were for a Edwards trumpet.

9. craigph

craigph Piano User

Mar 12, 2010
    Japan
    I think in a DVD included with Chase Sanborn's Brass Tactics Jens Lindermann gives a guided tour of the Yamaha factory in Hamamatsu (Japan), giving an overview at each stage.

10. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    nice stuff -- and hey I like Hannah Montana --